Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
When I got my new GPS 695 (my first portable GPS receiver since my GPS 90 which is still working fine) I thought I would just strap it on my leg and go. I found that I still needed my charts and flight log so I ended up strapping it on my wife's leg. I mentioned here that I was thinking about a mod to the ram mount that comes with the unit. I completed it yesterday and it works perfectly. I just sawed off part of the yoke mount, ground off a ridge on the back side, drilled a couple of 3/16" holed in the right side forward seat pan panel installed two #10 floating platenuts and mounted it with AN3 bolts. The panel is very stiff in this area and no doubler was required (was careful not to have anything extending into the full down arc of the control column). It is held slightly above the leg level (adjustable and movable with the Ram ball clamp) and is perfectly positioned for use in flight. It obscures nothing and occupies no panel space.
IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Looks nice Bob - that is the same relative position mine sits with the side-mount in my -8...you'll like it there!

Paul

Operationa Test

We just returned from a 17.9 flight hour trip to California rhat included some IMC time and the ILS Rwy 11 approach to San Luis Obispo. The unit worked perfectly into the operational scheme and my wife liked the ability to tell where we were and where we are going (she is not a pilot but loves to travel).

Bob Axsom