rv9av8tr

Well Known Member
Drawing 34A specifies AN4-12A bolts to attach the landing gear socket to the center section. When you use those bolts, you don't end up with threads visible beyond the nut, and you should have at least one thread, preferably two.

Tom Green at Van's confirmed that you need some threads beyond the nut and to should go to -13A bolts. Trying a 13A bolt, the unthreaded portion shows beyond the center section making it unclear whether a single washer is thick enough to allow the nut to go far enough onto the bolt to tighten down properly. Tom says to put another washer under the bolt head, rather than having a second washer under the nut.

After having torqued the MLG into place, I can't get out two of the bottom bolts and will have to settle for just changing the washer out for the thinner 428L.

I'm not the only local builder to have this problem. The question is... how many of you out there have run into this?

See my pics at: http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerv9a/MLGBolts

A friend just ran into this very same issue on his 9A. You definitely want threads showing beyond the nuts in this area.

As I build on, I've realized that the plans contain enough inaccuracies that you sometimes have to treat them as "suggestions" rather than instructions. Or, as someone once said, trust but verify!

cheers,
mcb

I have run into this issue on just about every bolt supplied with my RV 8-1 kit. I have had to double washer to prevent the nut from bottoming out on the non threaded portion of the bolt (grip). Another thing I have run into is, that the plans will call out a rivet, AD470-3--, and the kit did not even come with AD470-3's. I've also run out of certian other rivets. I swear I did'nt drill out that many.:D