CidGrad90

I'm New Here
Today (well actually yesterday, but I did not see the package outside until this morning), I received a my info pack and preview plans for the RV-8/8A. My intention is to build the -8A, since I have no taildragger experience. I don't know when I will actually start to order kits, but they dream has started.

Just do it

Sign up for one of the weekend training schools on RV building. Most people really enjoy the weekend and can hardly wait to get started on their kit! There are those that decide that building's not for them, but that's typically the minority--at least if you've gotten as far as going to a school.

The school will not only educate you in construction techniques, but will give you confidence and insight into what tools and work area you'll need.

Welcome to the club. :)

Bob,

Welcome to the VAF forum.

Join your local EAA chapter, buy some aluminum from a hardware store, get some help from your chapter members, and learn how to drive those rivets. (There is a lot of good info on this site regarding driving rivets.)

Also, don't let the lack of tailwheel time guide your selection. Build the plane you really want. If it is an -8A, that's OK, but you will find a way to get tailwheel time, if that's what you really want.

PS. Build the VS first, it is much easier to build than the HS.

jonathanrichey

I took the eaa class last month at flobob airport. It was great and confirmed my desire to start building. I ordered a practice kit from vans which I has the prepunched holes. I am almost done. RV-10 kit in January. Have lots of Grandkids other wise it would be an RV9A. Any comments from the Vans force?