rjsflyer

While vacationing in Maui, I was able to connect with Greg Grigson, RV-6A builder and pilot, who resides in Honolulu. Greg flew over to Kahului, Maui (PHOG) to pick me up and take me on an RV tour of Maui. Here's a link to some of the several hundred pictures I took. Thanks Greg!

http://www.rjsflyer.com/mauiflying/mauirvflyin.htm

Just another fine example of this great hobby and the RV community.

Rick Schwandt
Columbus, OH
RV-9A Fuselage
www.rjsflyer.com

Great pics!

Rick, beautiful pics! I can't let my wife see those, or she'll book the next flight out. We've stayed at the Kaanapali Ali'i, and that beach in front of there is simply fabulous.

Did you talk to Greg about what it's like to fly in Hawaii? It seems like it would be wonderful for a while, but since the landmass is so small, there are very few places to go. Of course, there's a lot more to do there than just fly!

Also, I didn't know that airport near your condo is private. What a shame.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

To answer your question Mickey.....yes, it does get a little stale flying in Hawaii, 13 years now for me. (Most of my interisland flying was done in the Hawaii Air National Guard (HIANG) C-130s, sitting sideways as navigator.) There are still the usual awsome sights; waterfalls, rainbows, beaches (forget nude, we follow the rules dude ;) --not low enough for a good view!), whales, seacliffs, etc. With airfares still at $90 oneway the RV is way cheaper, which makes getting out of Honolulu more frequent now. But not much adventure, as all usable airports are state run with the most interesting locales sporting poor to no services. Class B and military airpsace is somewhat restrictive and prohibits creativity. Soooo...next summer we move to New Mexico to stretch our legs, and start a new carrer, in the wide open spaces and look forward to more expansive RV flying adventures.
Greg

Maui wowie

I was on Maui last week, and saw the little yellow bird flying about......why wasn't I told of this?!!!
I would have beat the poor excuse for a helicopter tour I coughed up $500 for!