KALEWIS

Well Known Member
The cowl tunnel in place, is this an acceptable match to the tunnel/lower cowl at the oil cooler air intake?

2hgfg5s.jpg

Also,

Muffler spring to #1, a pretty tight fit, I am thinking we should cut out the fiberglass and make a new hole for the spring to have clearance, then re-glass the hole??

2crll53.jpg

THANKS !!

Sorry, I can't figure out the top picture. On the muffler spring, are you sure that's not the #2 cylinder?

Last edited:
Cooling duct joint & clearance

Can't tell for sure from your picture but it looks like you are making a lap joint. I think it is supposed to be a butt joint backed up with a fiberglass layup.
Here is what mine looked like. I was not able to make a very good butt joint so I had to use flox in the gap with a lay up backing as the plans suggested.
807380335_5ZJQL-L.jpg

My #2 lower pipe spring was real close also.
861039600_jWBZq-L.jpg

I didn't catch it until after the cowling was all done and the engine run. At that point I did not want to modify the cowl so I bent the wire loop that the spring hooks on to slightly toward the pipe which gave more clearance. At 112 hours it looks OK, but I am not sure this is an acceptable way to do it, so proceed at your own risk. I suppose there is a chance of breaking the weld on the hoop, and it does reduce the spring tension a bit. The best way is probably to do as you are planning.

Tony

Last edited:
Go here to see how I added a bump to the duct to increase the clearance. Fairly easy to do, and you won't have to worry about the spring rubbing, or charring of the fiberglass.

Sorry, I can't figure out the top picture. On the muffler spring, are you sure that's not the #2 cylinder?

U are correct .. #2 ... The 1st picture is looking up from the bottom of the cowl towards the spinner. Weird angle I know. It is overlapping by about 1/8". Not sure if that was proper. Looks good though. :)

Can't tell for sure from your picture but it looks like you are making a lap joint. I think it is supposed to be a butt joint backed up with a fiberglass layup.
Tony

It is overlapping by about 1/8". Not sure if that was proper. Looks good though. :)

Tony is correct
The interface of the duct to the air inlet at the front of the cowling is supposed to be a butt joint at the right side and top of the opening.

Thanks for the info ... Guess a little more sanding and all will be well.

Don't be concerned if you can't get the butt joint perfect. That's the beauty of working with fiberglass - you can fill any little gaps and sand smooth.