LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
You know, we live in an age of specialization and I think I've come up with an idea for a new job: RV construction consultant.

This is different from tech counselor. This is more like a "life coach" for RV builders.

Here's why. I feel myself getting to the point where I'm overwhelmed by what I need to do next, and so I don't know what to do next.

Example: It's too cold to work on the canopy anymore so that's put away 'til spring... I don't want to install the struts and mounts (even though that's what I've been working on) without having the canopy in place.

I don't have an engine yet. I've been buying stuff sort of willy-nilly as funds become available. I've got two foam cores from Oregon Aero but they haven't been upholstered yet, nor is there a hole cut yet for the crotch strap. I made the decision today to pursue getting them covered but DJ at Cleveland said they don't do Oregon Aero seats. Rats. I just bought the Hooker Harness set. I just bought the ICOM radio. I already had the autopilot. I've got the Whelen strobe power pack mounted but there are no wires to it and no wires from it because I haven't planned a panel or wiring routing yet because I haven't decided yet whether I can afford the Vertical Power system which makes a difference in how I design an electrical system... the rear top skins are off... the seatbacks haven't been installed yet because I don't know if I'll need to take the floor up to run wires underneath and.... and.... and.....

So the project is sitting in the garage mostly (part of it is at a hangar but the fuse isn't on landing gear yet so I can't just roll it up onto a flatbed... and it has steps so I can't just plop it in the back of a pick-up and, besides, the hangar isn't heated... of course, neither is the garage.

I've certainly made steady, if certainly slow... progress on the thing over the years.... but now I feel it sitting in the garage... mocking me; saying "c'mon, I dare you to figure out something meaningful you can do on the project."

It seems I'm at the stage where everything somehow depends on something else being done.

I think I'm playing the RV version of "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon."

Yeah, an RV building coach. That could be the next hot job! Someone who makes me "drop and give 'em 20" when I can't figure out what to do next.:D

Last edited:
It seems I'm at the stage where everything somehow depends on something else being done.

man i hate this stage..this is when i tried to quit leaving things undone. it soo sucks to think your gonna do something only to find you have to first remove some stuff to install what you needed to, only to see the parts covered up neede to be alumnapred, alodined, and primed. at least a days worth of extra stuff. to be able to finish the job at hand.:mad:

I've certainly made steady, if certainly slow... progress on the thing over the years.... but now I feel it sitting in the garage... mocking me; saying "c'mon, I dare you to figure out something meaningful you can do on the project."

Lists, Bob, you need lists. :)

I think most builders hit this hurdle, it just happens at different points for each builder. For me it was as I was finishing up firewall forward and I started finding myself wandering off in several directions at one time. At that point, I took one of the extra three-view drawings, turned it over, drew lines to divide it into several rows, categorized the rows, and labeled them "engine", "cabin", "avionics", etc, etc. I then listed every remaining task I could think of in each category along with any parts or stuff that needed ordering.

When I had finished this exercise, I tacked the sheet on the wall of the shop, stepped back, and pretty much saw my unfinished project in front of me. I could now visualize what I needed to do and how to get there. As I discovered new tasks and items I needed, they were added to the chart. Even better, I could study the chart, plan a course of action, complete the task.....and mark it off the chart!

finsh188.jpg

After a few months of this process, a marvelous thing happened--the uncompleted items on the chart were getting few in number. This plan kept me on course and prevented a lot of wasted time and energy. Many builders use a variation of this method, I've seen several white boards in shops, even a couple of loose-leaf notebooks with "to-do" lists. But I liked the big chart constantly looking down on my progress and prodding me to stay on task.

One day I walked into the shop, noticed there were only two little items left, finished them up in a couple of hours, and was hit with the incomparable realization that my plane was........ready to fly.

finsh227.jpg

I know you are aware of an article I wrote in this regard but for those who may not have seen it either on my site or when it was published in the RVator:

http://thervjournal.com/smart.html

Get organized, and you too will run out of lists sooner than you expect! :)

Last edited:
Sam you are so right but .....

I am at the point Bob mentions. Have been there for YEARS!

Of course one of my excuses is that I have been flying the other RV for about 100 hours and I have flown some friends' RVs for about 50+ hours but the REALITY is that I am STUCK! (Kinda like what Bob is saying).

For me, it seems that when someone comes around and says let's do THIS, we "git er done!", but when it is just me, I do mental ramblings until it is time to go fly again.

Seems to be similar to exercise programs for some of us. It is the mental discipline for this task that wanes after a while. There is a need for a driving force ... at least temporarily.

Interestingly enough, I have helped a friend find an RV and I have put NUMNEROUS hours into getting it all tuned up for him as I committed to do it, and am enjoying it! Kinda like if this project of mine belonged to someone else, I would have finished it five years ago.

Sorry about the rambling, but I can relate to where Bob is and wish I had the discipline that Sam mentions.

James

Sam is spot on. When you get to the point where the instructions stop holding your hand you need to step back and make a master list. I took some large craft paper and made a master list of major tasks which need to be accomplished. I used a big marker and hung the list on the wall. I also made a list of major things to buy and hung it up there as well. Each major task has many sub-tasks and I would keep a list of those in my wallet so I could access it easily wherever I was.

The other thing I did was to start at the rear of the plane and finish up anything that was undone. When the tail was installed, wired, rigged, etc... I moved onto the center fuse area. I was on that for a long time because there is so much involved. Then it was on to the panel and firewall forward. The very last thing I did before the first flight was to fab and install the spinner assembly, thereby completing my rear to forward strategy. (Wheel pants and gear fairings were installed after flying a few hours)

This worked for me, but overall I would say to develope a plan for completion which suits you. There will be less of a chance for frustration to creep in.
Most importantly - DON'T STOP THE PROGRESS no matter how slowly it may be going.

P.S: The last item on that master list should be "GO FLYING" :)

These are all great ideas. And I've adopted a few of them. But part of it is that I don't feel I can do a lot of these things without doing things that I can't do now.

Take, the electrical for example. It's clear to me -- unless i'm missing something -- I can't do it until I decide the Vertical Power thing. But I can't decide that (I know... I know.... "drop and give me 20").

Finish the canopy. I could...except I can't (or won't, I'm not exactlys ure which) in 30 degree weather.

Part of my challenge....err, my RV coach's challenge... is diagramming those things that can be done independent of other things I can't do. I haven't figured out what those are yet.

This is where having an inexhaustible supply of money would come in handy. I'd just write Stein a check... and Mattituck a check.. an VP a check... and XYZ a check.

Of course one of my excuses is that I have been flying the other RV for about 100 hours and I have flown some friends' RVs for about 50+ hours but the REALITY is that I am STUCK! (Kinda like what Bob is saying).

James, I know what you are saying. Once we let the project slide to a back burner, it can be very difficult to bring it back to a boil.

I respect those builders who have huge family/job/life responsibilities that prevent them from working on the project on a consistent basis. If I had been faced with those obstacles, my outcome might not have been as pleasant.

I think it comes down to the fact that in order to build something as involved as an aircraft, we have to have a compulsive desire to see the project to completion. We dangle various carrots depending on what pushes our buttons (I need to fly this thing/I love working in the shop/ this is fantastic therapy), but if the carrot disappears from immediate view, our project is in danger of becoming an orphan.

Bob, wish I had a silver bullet for you. At some point you are going to have to make some decisions. ;) I suggest you spend an evening sitting in front of your plans and finding tasks that can be completed in spite of the uncertain nature of your project. Make that list, and work on tasks even though they may seem insignificant. But each one you tick off will fall into the "Never have to do that again" category. :)

Bob,

It is time. Time for another breakfast flight. That will put things in prospective, really.

Compartmentalize, there are certainly independent things that can be done. Put a heater in the garage (you can rationalize that you will get that money back someday when you sell the house). Fiberglass tips done yet? You might be thinking of too many things at a time, unnecessarily.

I'll call if we go Saturday.

I suggest you spend an evening sitting in front of your plans and finding tasks that can be completed in spite of the uncertain nature of your project. Make that list, and work on tasks even though they may seem insignificant. But each one you tick off will fall into the "Never have to do that again" category. :)

I'm thinking one of those snowy Minnesota days (if we ever get one)... when everything is closed... would be a good time to sit down and lay everything out. Unfortunately, that's also the time I pull out the rum and hot cider. :D

Here is an approach ...

These are all great ideas. And I've adopted a few of them. But part of it is that I don't feel I can do a lot of these things without doing things that I can't do now.

Take, the electrical for example. It's clear to me -- unless i'm missing something -- I can't do it until I decide the Vertical Power thing. But I can't decide that (I know... I know.... "drop and give me 20").

Finish the canopy. I could...except I can't (or won't, I'm not exactlys ure which) in 30 degree weather.

Part of my challenge....err, my RV coach's challenge... is diagramming those things that can be done independent of other things I can't do. I haven't figured out what those are yet.

This is where having an inexhaustible supply of money would come in handy. I'd just write Stein a check... and Mattituck a check.. an VP a check... and XYZ a check.

OK Bob ... some online coaching. :)

Drop down and gimme 10!!

List 10 things that you MIGHT be able to do and I (we) will pick one for you and hound you through it.

Actually I suspect you will get coaching on THAT item and the fact that there are those of us around to "help" and coach will add just that little bit of motivation.

Wanna give it a try??

Just an idea as I try to sort through this myself.

James

Concentrate

Bob,

Finish something.
Wings done? Lights? Tips?
Have the seats finished, just do it.
Do something every day. You will like the project better when you see progress.
Finish the panel, good winter project.
Heat the shop, do the canopy,
Borrow an engine if you have to put buying till later, with that on you can do the cowl, and baffling. I have an extra one here that I will not use for a long time. IF? we were next door you could use it.
Hope to see you flying next summer/ fall.

Reading some of the tough love you are getting,,,, you need to sell me your project, I will finish it as a tail wheel RV7 and put it to good use.
You need to buy a flying airplane, it is not happening for you.

Cheers

Jay

Last edited:
Drop down and gimme 10!!

I throw my back out these days just changing the channel with a remote. How about 5?

List 10 things that you MIGHT be able to do and I (we) will pick one for you and hound you through it.

* I'm thinking I might be able to run the wires from the power supply out to the tail... or at least out the last bulkhead. Because it's in the garage, I can't remount the VS to drill through that (or, actually, if I go low, I won't have to go through that, will I? Hmmm.)

* I'd like to finish the rudder tip and glass in or otherwise mount the tail light. I gotta figure out how to do glass work.

* Plan the panel. I guess it won't cost me anything to cut stuff out and tape it in place. Oh, that reminds me. Move the instrument panel rib. Wish I'd done that before but I wasn't going to go glass.

* Safety wire the Tru Trak servo in place (gee, that's only been sitting in the wing now for four years. "I can do that this winter," I've said to myself for three of 'em). My original installation had, what appeared to be screws to hold the servo in place. I drilled those out to allow for bolts and nylock nuts.

* Order and mount the ELT. No, wait, that's another one of those..."do I buy the newfangled thing with big bucks or the old cheaper one that won't do me any good?" Gotta make that decision without looking at the bank account.

* Move the fuselage to the hangar. OK, this can be done with four guys and flatbed. Memo to self: Find four guys. Oh, and a flatbed. Then, once there, mount the tail surfaces.

* Take the control linkages apart and double-check that I have it rotating around the bushing. Or was it around the bolt? Check that and then,, ummm... check that. Put it back together. Secondary item: Throw the manual trim cable spring away on one side. The end of the spring straightened and my bending it back to hold things together was dumb and stupid (is there a difference between dumb and stupid) and that needs to be rectified)

* Get the seats covered. Grey and maroon... that's the interior colors. In my whacky way, I decided on that after I saw the Hooker harnesses I ordered. The color of the Fitchburg (Mass.) High School Red Raiders. Gotta think about the external paint while I'm doing this because my original idea of green and beige (I kinda like the paint job on the U of North Dakota planes I see from time to time) isn't going to work with maroon and grey.

* Order the crotch strap installation kit from Van's for Hooker Harness.

* Oh, here's one I forgot all about. Do the wing tips. Drill and do whatever for the Strobes. Of course, that's that "wire" thing again. Maybe I'll just run the wires to a terminal strip on the wing root rib, 'cuz I'm nowhere near figuring things out from the panel outward yet.

OK, that's 10, some of which won't be done until there's more money (Christmas time and all that coming, you know). But that gives me a little better view of things, and spawns another list.

-1- Learn fiberglassing
-2- Research ELTs
-3- Build some more tables and shelves at the hangar
-4- Find someone to teach me the art of safety wiring

How much do I owe you?

Last edited:
Here's a little motivation for you. How much money do you have to date tied up in your project(notice I said project it ain't a plane yet). Now sit down and figure our what it is costing you each day in lost interest if that money you spent was invested. Add that to the total cost of the project and that should get you moving unless of course you have lots of money to throw around and if that is the case please send some my way.

Enjoy The Build

Bob,

Here's another perspective. For the first year, I worked on my plane every waking minute, until it started to feel like a second job. So then I quit my "second job" for about 4 months and flew model airplanes. When I started back on the plane, I worked slower, and a little less often and came to the startling conclusion that I REALLY like building, and building is as much fun as flying. I think this is evidenced by all the guys who sell their plane soon after it is built to build another one, or a year or two after completion start talking about another build. (Doug, Dan, Paul, to name a few)

So my advice is take your time, enjoy your life and all it's distractions, and the plane will fly when the plane flies. I think the building process is a very rewarding part of our lives.

I feel myself getting to the point where I'm overwhelmed by what I need to do next, and so I don't know what to do next.

I couldn't have said it better Bob. I may be in the minority here, but when I feel overwhelmed, I take a break. I'm doing this for fun and I don't want it to become a part time job. When it stops being fun, I take a few days off. When I come back to it, it's fun again.

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking one of those snowy Minnesota days (if we ever get one)... when everything is closed... would be a good time to sit down and lay everything out. Unfortunately, that's also the time I pull out the rum and hot cider. :D

Yes...rum and hot cider........plane? What plane?? :D

Crazy Idea NO 1

This may be a little drastic but ... move to Louisiana. It is perfect building temperature here. I have a garage that is big enough to fit your project and mine and you can live in the apartment over the garage. You are a journalist, you can telecomute. Tell you boss you are researching why so many people move from the brutal Minnesota winters to the sunbelt. Now the motivation is to finish before the summer hits. It gets hot down here, and with the heat comes bugs. So I WILL BE FINISHED BEFORE IT GETS HOT.

Think about it.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A Finishing
Lafayette La.

This may be a little drastic but ... move to Louisiana. It is perfect building temperature here. I have a garage that is big enough to fit your project and mine and you can live in the apartment over the garage. You are a journalist, you can telecomute. Tell you boss you are researching why so many people move from the brutal Minnesota winters to the sunbelt. Now the motivation is to finish before the summer hits. It gets hot down here, and with the heat comes bugs. So I WILL BE FINISHED BEFORE IT GETS HOT.

I was thinking Arizona. I know how much they love Minnesotans in the winter. :rolleyes:

Now sit down and figure our what it is costing you each day in lost interest if that money you spent was invested.

You're talking to a guy who invested the original money for a wing kit in Yahoo stock when it was $400 a share. :eek:

My other stock investments have been Eastern Airlines and Wang Labs.

I always thought I could make a lot of money by writing to corporate CEOs and telling them I was thinking about buying their companies stock, but I could be dissauaded. Man, I'll bet I could build a nice panel with that. :p

OK ... Here goes ....

I throw my back out these days just changing the channel with a remote. How about 5?

How much do I owe you?

A ride when it is done! :)

I have marked five (5) items that can be "done" by Saturday a week from now ... even if you procrastinate. Take a look and let us know how you are doing! :D

Good luck.

James
--------------------------------

* I'm thinking I might be able to run the wires from the power supply out to the tail... or at least out the last bulkhead. Because it's in the garage, I can't remount the VS to drill through that (or, actually, if I go low, I won't have to go through that, will I? Hmmm.)

* I'd like to finish the rudder tip and glass in or otherwise mount the tail light. I gotta figure out how to do glass work.

* Plan the panel. I guess it won't cost me anything to cut stuff out and tape it in place. Oh, that reminds me. Move the instrument panel rib. Wish I'd done that before but I wasn't going to go glass.

1. ***JEC*** Use this as "filler" work when you have done all you can from the list. Good play around background stuff.

* Safety wire the Tru Trak servo in place (gee, that's only been sitting in the wing now for four years. "I can do that this winter," I've said to myself for three of 'em). My original installation had, what appeared to be screws to hold the servo in place. I drilled those out to allow for bolts and nylock nuts.

2. ***JEC*** Grab someone on Saturday and "git er done!" That should take 30 minutes.

* Order and mount the ELT. No, wait, that's another one of those..."do I buy the newfangled thing with big bucks or the old cheaper one that won't do me any good?" Gotta make that decision without looking at the bank account.

3. ***JEC*** Just do it! Get the OLD one. It is good to go for the flight. Worry about changing it later. Order it when you order the crotch strap kit below (tomorrow!)

* Move the fuselage to the hangar. OK, this can be done with four guys and flatbed. Memo to self: Find four guys. Oh, and a flatbed. Then, once there, mount the tail surfaces.

4. ***JEC*** If this does NOT slow down other things, get this done THIS Saturday ...before it gets REALLY cold.

* Take the control linkages apart and double-check that I have it rotating around the bushing. Or was it around the bolt? Check that and then,, ummm... check that. Put it back together. Secondary item: Throw the manual trim cable spring away on one side. The end of the spring straightened and my bending it back to hold things together was dumb and stupid (is there a difference between dumb and stupid) and that needs to be rectified)

* Get the seats covered. Grey and maroon... that's the interior colors. In my whacky way, I decided on that after I saw the Hooker harnesses I ordered. The color of the Fitchburg (Mass.) High School Red Raiders. Gotta think about the external paint while I'm doing this because my original idea of green and beige (I kinda like the paint job on the U of North Dakota planes I see from time to time) isn't going to work with maroon and grey.

5. ***JEC*** OK do this TOMORROW! You are going to need it. You can get it and have it installed by the weekend or if you procrastinate, by next Saturday. :) Easy. No reason to delay.

* Oh, here's one I forgot all about. Do the wing tips. Drill and do whatever for the Strobes. Of course, that's that "wire" thing again. Maybe I'll just run the wires to a terminal strip on the wing root rib, 'cuz I'm nowhere near figuring things out from the panel outward yet.

OK, that's 10, some of which won't be done until there's more money (Christmas time and all that coming, you know). But that gives me a little better view of things, and spawns another list.

-1- Learn fiberglassing
-2- Research ELTs

Get Going with JClarks list!

Hey Bob, I actually do know how you feel - sometimes, a whole lot of potential ideas for what to do just prevent you from picking one and doing it. Now pick up your annotated list and go for it!

Once suggestion on the panel - grab the ACTUAL PANEL, a real ruler, and the measurements of your instruments of choice, put them on the dining room table, get a Sharpie, and lay it out precisely. Then......go cut some holes! I have coached a lot of people into doing a lot of work (much finer work than I am capable of myself...) and one thing I sense is that you are having trouble deciding on what you want because of the "kid in a candy store" syndrome. It all looks so good, what do you pick? Pick something, and stick with it. There is no one right answer, so stop looking for it - that only paralyzes you.

I started laying out Louise's new panel last night, in ink - the airplane shows up here on Thanksgiving, and I need to be ready to hit the ground running, so it was time to settle. I completely agree with the folks that say enjoy the build, and don't let it drive you...but a deadline always works well for me (I'm unusual, I know....).

One other thing I have discovered - try and do tasks that you dislike doing all along the way. Don't work on just the stuff you enjoy - intermix the two. Otherwise, you will get to the back end of the project with nothing but things you hate to do staring you in the face....and the next step is Ebay or Trade-a-Plane....:(

Build on - and do at least one little thing every day.

Paul

Bob
I'm with Paul on this one. Grab your panel, some fine tip sharpies, a can of acetone, a t-square and some other squares, rulers and start laying out your panel. Make a decision on a basic panel, one that you can upgrade later. If you get a modular panel from "Affordable Panels" upgrading will be easy.
I know alot of guys don't care for Van's wiring harness but it's a good place to start and will get you going. There is nothing wrong with using Van's "stuff". They have drawings and detailed instructions for the electrical system and intercom, they're simple and they work. A Dynon D180, Sl40 comm, 327 transponder are all very easy to wire. You don't need an audio panel, you can run the extra audio from the different alerts on top of your radio audio, just put an audio pot. in between so you can silence it.
Get the cheap ELT and move on.
Heat up the shop and work on the canopy, guys make to big a deal of the canopy. ( I've done 7 and haven't cracked one yet) Once again follow the plans and rivet it on.
Get your fabric or leather and drop your seats off at an auto upholsterer.
I might be mistaken but isn't the vertical power stuff about the same price as an autopilot? Might be a good investment if you're made of money.

Make your plane simpler and you'll fly it alot sooner, then you can upgrade "it" instead of becoming a repeat offender.

Panel Layout

Bob,

Alex P. and I are a powerful 1-2 punch when it comes to panel layout. I rough it out in Visio until you are happy, the Alex makes it all professional in Autocad. We have a guy that takes the Autocad and laser cuts them in South St Paul.

Alex and I work for beer, but the laser guy charges a bit. You end up with a nice panel, though. Bernie W is a happy customer. (he might even give us a good reference)

2001825744963241208_rs.jpg

We can work on the layout over e-mail and phone. Drop me a line if you are interested. It it fun to see the progress and electrons (and beer) are cheap.

To piggy back on Jon's comments:

I did my canopy in the winter (here in Minne) with a borrowed kerosene heater - It worked just fine.

There is a auto upholsterer across from where I work in Golden Valley. I'll bet they would have fun with your seats.

Last edited:
james

A ride when it is done! :)

I have marked five (5) items that can be "done" by Saturday a week from now ... even if you procrastinate. Take a look and let us know how you are doing! :D

Good luck.

James
--------------------------------

james,
when im done im gonna be hangin out at your place helping you. so get ready. you have about six months to a year left to goof off.;)

Great!!!!

james,
when im done im gonna be hangin out at your place helping you. so get ready. you have about six months to a year left to goof off.;)

I look forward to it.

I am a lot better at either helping others or telling others what to do than doing it myself! :)

Are you building at the airport?

James

p.s. Hey Bob, have you picked something to do yet????? (keeping the thread connected) :D

Hi Bob,

In my other "non-RV" job, I'm a web/database designer. I'm often involved in projects that involve creating enormous web-based applications. After many years of wanting to "get it done", I have learned to work without thinking about "when is it going to be finished?". I just work item by item until one-day I realize that "Hey... I think I'm finished!". I find that I am a lot less stressed and happy when I do this. I have learned that working on the RV should be seen as daily "feel good" therapy, being in my favorite place, working with my hands and creating beauty. Corny, but true.

p.s. Hey Bob, have you picked something to do yet????? (keeping the thread connected) :D

Ordering stuff today (ELT, mount, new spring, crotch strap installation kit), have sent an email to Pete about planning the panel. Have (kind of) made a decision on VP, sending a note to Flightline Interiors today to get samples. Gonna dig around looking for someone to teach me the art of safety wiring multiple bolts (TruTrak), looking for some posterboard around this mess to make a list -- per Sam. Digging around looking for that PM1000 II i bought a year or so ago to maybe try to sell it (I don't really need it with A210, I don't think). (although I just saw someone sell theirs here for $100. $100? Mine cost $400 and it's brand new, I'm not selling it for $100! Anyway, I digress...). Dug out that old half (quarter?)-finished rudder tip that I started working on to put the strobe light in the rear. Reconsidering how exactly I want to do that.

rudder_hole.jpg

Hi Bob,
I find that I am a lot less stressed and happy when I do this. I have learned that working on the RV should be seen as daily "feel good" therapy, being in my favorite place, working with my hands and creating beauty. Corny, but true.

and this has been my method too, right up until recently. I don't know why I deviated from it. but I did.

People have asked me "when is it going to be done?" And I say, "in about $35,000."

I'm going to stop using that answer because it makes me think too much about the money I need. :confused:

not yet

I look forward to it.

I am a lot better at either helping others or telling others what to do than doing it myself! :)

Are you building at the airport?

James

i am still at the house. but i have a hangar, rented it to a freind temporairily.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC!!!!

1. Ordering stuff today (ELT, mount, new spring, crotch strap installation kit),
2. have sent an email to Pete about planning the panel.
3. Have (kind of) made a decision on VP,
4. sending a note to Flightline Interiors today to get samples.
5. Gonna dig around looking for someone to teach me the art of safety wiring multiple bolts (TruTrak),
6. looking for some posterboard around this mess to make a list -- per Sam.
7. Digging around looking for that PM1000 II i bought a year or so ago to maybe try to sell it (I don't really need it with A210, I don't think). (although I just saw someone sell theirs here for $100. $100? Mine cost $400 and it's brand new, I'm not selling it for $100! Anyway, I digress...).

Dug out that old half (quarter?)-finished rudder tip that I started working on to put the strobe light in the rear. Reconsidering how exactly I want to do that.

Way to go Bob! See, you have done SEVERAL THINGS and have several in the queue. I edited you list with numbers just to highlight your progress!

A couple of comments ...

Keep the intercom! You will wish you had later when on the long trip you want to hear some tunes (and so does your passenger) ... *and* later you want a way to hear what that Garmin handheld is telling you about terrain. :)

I may be helping a friend with ELT mount and crotch strap mount this weekend, so I might have some tips on that later.

Safety wiring will not be a big deal. Here is one of many links that gives tips ..
http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

You get an "A" for this week already! Keep up the pace. :)

James
... better at talking it or doing it for others than at doing it for myself

I "talked" (by e-mail) to Abby at FLI so we're getting that taken care of. It's a little tricky right now because work is changing my job. It was billed as a big promotion but it's feeling more like a downgrade... so I'm doing street stories now. That's taking up a lot of time. (And also is part of my nervousness about spending a lot of money right now, if you know what I mean.)

Tomorrow I'm going to work on that rudder light assembly, although my wife -- as I heard it -- has me roped into going to some chamber music thing. So I'm going to have to do the chamber music version of that beer ad where the guys go to the opera but bring bottles instead of cans).

By Sunday I hope to have a decision in my head on the electrical. I think I'm going to cash in an old "whole life" insurance policy (that I sold to myself back in '76 when I got out of school and needed a job), and use that money to get going on the first steps. Kids are gone, there's 403-B money, and all I need is a cheap pine box, I figure. The need for life insurance has probably passed.

Take It One Thing At A Time

All good advice to you Bob. I thought I was a flyer and was really worried about the time that would be spent building an airplane rather than flying. Especially since I sold my existing airplane to pay for the kit and to get started!

I was surprised to find out how much I enjoyed building. The key was to keep the project close - preferably in the garage - and work on it a little bit every day, even if it was only to go out and sweep the floor or reorganize the work bench. Sometimes just to gaze in amazement at what I had undertaken!

There were times, of course, when I, like everyone else, hit the wall. The key, as suggested here, is to just step back and focus on the ONE task at hand. When it isn't fun anymore, take a break - but not too long or the project will languish.

Get a portable heater and warm up your shop. Don't fret the canopy. When I finished mine I lived in Alaska and did it in the dead of winter in a poorly heated hangar with a portable heater.

Decisions on what is going to be used, like the ELT decision, are not life-altering events. Make your decision and move on. You are going to change your mind on some things and that is just the way it is. Particularly on a project that extends over several years. Technology changes! Boy I wish the Dynon D100 was available when I bought my D10!

If cash is an issue (and it always is), simple compromise may be in order to get you flying. Can't afford that brand new Lycoming and going to have to save for a couple years? Look at a good low or zero since overhaul engine for just a little more than half the price of a new one. It may not be "New", but it will give you years and years and years of service - not to mention getting you in the air NOW! It will also free up some cash for some of those other goodies.

Good luck and keep at it!

Keith
RV9A
N355RV
90 hours and a year flying

Get a portable heater and warm up your shop. Don't fret the canopy. When I finished mine I lived in Alaska and did it in the dead of winter in a poorly heated hangar with a portable heater.

I've been using a Buddy Heater (connects to 20 lb propane tank) in the garage for a few years. It makes things pretty bearable, 'cept maybe in the dead of winter. and even then you can warm your hands up quickly... a handy thing if you're touching a rivet gun or bucking bar.

Say, here's a question: I'm going to putter around with that rudder light and most of the tips I've seen involve using epoxy to build up the inside for screws or whatnot (I'm following the parallel thread I linked to above).

Do you all have a favorite link for basic fiberglass/epoxy work (I know of a piece Darwin wrote some years ago that was real good) that you like? Also is this stuff I could use today, something I could pick up at a boatyard. There's a few around here that I imagine aren't too busy today and I'd like to actually do something other than fire up ye olde Aircraft Spruce catalog CD.

Do you all have a favorite link for basic fiberglass/epoxy work (I know of a piece Darwin wrote some years ago that was real good) that you like? Also is this stuff I could use today, something I could pick up at a boatyard. There's a few around here that I imagine aren't too busy today and I'd like to actually do something other than fire up ye olde Aircraft Spruce catalog CD.

Bob, the boat shops more than likely will handle West Marine products. Here is a link on their site with info about some of their products:

http://tinyurl.com/3d3whl

Some Googling will provide a bunch of links about how to use various epoxy products.

As luck would have it, there was (is) a West Marine store over on the St. Croix River, about 10 miles from here. So I drove over today and loaded up with a bunch of West Systems stuff. $185. Also picked up a really interesting West user manual. Still have to buy some more stuff -- Darwin has suggested a fiberglass tape.

I'm looking forward to playing with some fiberglassing.

WEST manual

As luck would have it, there was (is) a West Marine store over on the St. Croix River, about 10 miles from here. So I drove over today and loaded up with a bunch of West Systems stuff. $185. Also picked up a really interesting West user manual. Still have to buy some more stuff -- Darwin has suggested a fiberglass tape.

I'm looking forward to playing with some fiberglassing.

For others reading, this is probably the WEST Manual Bob got...

http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier1/usingepoxy.htm

gil A

Funny thing. I was looking for another thread (I think it was Chad's Hooker Harness installation guide) and I ran across this thread from last year when James Clark set me on the right path by coming up with a list. All of the items I came up with are done. Thanks, James!

-1- Learn fiberglassing
-2- Research ELTs

How much do I owe you?

so does that mean you need a new list and booster team?;)

started making myself a list yesterday as I have stalled a bit lately:eek:

I am one of those folks who have benefited from the coaching of James Clark. I have been pulled out of the building doldrums twice by James. The first time was when I couldn't decide how to do my panel...too many choices with too many new products coming out each month. James told me to freeze the design and build on. He pointed out that whatever I came up with would be much better than what was in the rental crates that I had been flying...he was dead-on right!
He later helped me diagnose an impossible intercom/radio problem that had set me back over a month. James may not be able to build his own plane, but he will be directly responsible for helping to increase the size of Van's Airforce due to his willingness to help others along their journey.
Thanks James!

Stop fooling around!

Crank up some heat and get that canopy done! I know the canopy stinks, but sometimes when you start doing something all of a sudden your done and you realize it wasn't half as bad as you thought it was going to be. I did my canopy, a slider twice. It really wasn't that bad. By the second time I was getting good at it. You can do the cutting in the basement maybe then just fit it out in the garage. Do all the drilling and cutting in the heat. Good luck!

I have to get back to the shop but first....

I've had the project on hiatus for about a year - new garage, yard, everything in a shipping container in the driveway.

Well all that's done, and there I stood in the Garage Mahal, not knowing where to start, or what to start on.

Geez, I'll never even find all the tools I need at first.
- tripped on the rib straightener, missed the stack of ribs on the shelf, landed on the stack of scotch-brite. fate, perhaps.

So, I started small. I built another work table.
and an enclosure for the air compressor.
and a work bench most of the length of one wall.

and I feel MUCH better now.

I think this must be how Sam felt when he checked something off his list.
I finished something that needed doing. Wheee!

I'm also starting to get some "peer pressure" to get back at building from my little girl and her classmates - "When can we come help with the airplane again?"

Sure are a lot of hints laying around for me.

Thanks for all the advice in this topic, folks, and to you Bob, for starting it.

At least 45 minutes a day..........

When I built RC, I built fairly complex projects, lots of fiberglass & paint work on 30% models. Some took me as long as three years to complete. I had one rule "work on something on the project at least 45 minutes a day" acutally do something, not just think about, not just look at it, doesn't matter how small a task, but at least 45 minutes a day. I have done this with my 6 and by golly I looked up the other day and I think she's about 30 days to taxi test.

"45 MINUTES A DAY"

so does that mean you need a new list and booster team?;)

started making myself a list yesterday as I have stalled a bit lately:eek:

Heh, heh. No, I'm doing OK. This week I've taken work off to burn some vacation time and I'm sitting down -- again -- with AeroElectric Connection, the Vertical Power installation guide, all the Van's wiring diagrams, and the ePanel Planner to finally set the electrical system down on paper. I should have the general wiring runs planned out by mid-week and running conduit is a good putt-around-when-it's-too-cold-to-do-much-else-at-the-hangar.

I could use another ten grand, though.