pierre smith

Well Known Member
On a recent trip to Arkansas, I used my iPad with SkychartsPro for planning. While there, I was extolling its virtues to another pilot and said, "Watch this," as I tried to pull up the approach plates for Hot Springs.

The screen message was "No connectivity" and so, no approach. During my planning, I was at my desk WITH my WiFi available and so it did show all the maps to Arkansas.

BUUUT, I didn't have those maps in my cache, so no approach plates in the air, or at KHOT!! I would have been in deep doo if I'd really needed them! I essentially, only had my usual cache of Southeast US maps and Arkansas is not included in them, so be careful when you're going on a long trip, that you do, in fact, have all the necessary maps cached.

Best,

I copied this from the iTunes description of the app....

"Full description:
Moving map with current IFR/VFR/TAC/FLY/HIFR aviation charts. DOUBLE TAP on map to view A/FD and approach plate. Map has VFR/IFR/LIFR color-coded METARs, with orange TAFs. SUA airspace information is also available.
No service? No problem! Download charts and plates for offline usage. Flight plan and navigate using the ICAO airport/navaid database, or manually enter lat/longitude way points"

If you're unsure if the charts were downloaded, turn off your wifi and data (airplane mode) and then see if the charts you need are available "offline."

Jamie

It's going to be this way with any software on any device. If the data is not stored somewhere on the device or it can't connect to a service to fetch said data, then there will be no data - doesn't matter which app or which piece of hardware.

Cheers,
Stein

That is definately a gotcha! Glad you brought this up. Even for those that know about it, it's a good reminder to double check this stuff before blasting off.....

That's why I cache the continental US. RVs are fast and can cover some ground. I want to be prepared!! Of course, I back up with paper charts. :eek:

With ForeFlight, I too download Taxi Diagrams and AF/D; Terminal Procedures; VFR Charts; and IFR Low Charts for CONUS (I don't have any immediate plans for Alaska or Hawaii). It takes a while on my tiny internet spigot but it's worth it.

FF on iPad is backup to FF on iPhone is backup to Garmin 696 :cool: