Platyius

I have just finished building and installing an additional storage space in my RV-12.
The need for this came from the fact my wife finds it difficult to travel anywhere without including the kitchen sink!!!! As our combined weight is about 40 lbs less than the 380lbs given in the sample load problem given in the weight and balance section of the POH. This means we can carry an extra 40lbs of luggage, but where to put it and still keep the C of G within the limits with max gross weight.
My solution was to build a locker forward, between the pilot and co-pilot over the tunnel attached to the top cover using their attach screws. This has no affect on any structural part of the airframe.
This structure was bent from .6 mm aluminium sheet and weighs about 1.1 lbs and has a sliding door on top as shown in these photos.
Now I can load the aircraft to get the C of G just right and a handy locker to use in flight.
IMG_5081.JPG

IMG_5083.JPG

IMG_5088.JPG

Good Job

Good job Tony !
One of the advantages of building your own airplane is the freedom to make modifications and additions as desired.
Joe

Last edited:
How did you get the screws fastened in the upper forward portion of the box where it attaches to the tunnel cover? It looks like the top of the box is riveted on. My guess is that you have no attachment flange up there where there is no access.
Larry

Very cool...you may also want to consider moving the Dynon update 9 pin into your box. Then you could do updates by just sliding your box open. If you still plan to do an interior, just call em after you order and they will work with your new shape. good job.

Questions answered

Larry, You are correct, as I riveted the box together before installing on the tunnel cover it is impossible to reach the top four screws. I did carry the flange angle all the way to the top to give strength but had cutouts over the screw heads I couldn't reach.

Pete, About moving the Dynon update 9 pin into the box, this would be ok. When I was constructing my aircraft I could see no logical reason to put a plug in the tunnel with so many screws to undoo to gain access so I put it in the glove box and that works well.

Tony

Glove box alternative was not avail to those of us ELSA'ers in the states but now that its signed off and I can make such changes, your box may be part of the answer for me. Thx