Gary Baker

Well Known Member
Tonight I was offered a ride in a friend's RV-7A. We were given a mission: Fly to Carroll County, OH, and liberate some Pie! Bernie offered me the left seat in his -7A, (I think his cold medicine was still in his system and he wasn't thinking right) and so before he could change his mind, we hopped in with me in the left seat, fired it up and we went to meet Dale in his -7 waiting overhead.

With only a few burbles on the twenty minute flight, (they wouldn't even put any whitecaps in my coffee in my regular office job as a heavy equipment operator) we landed at Carroll County. We were intercepted immediately by a gentleman who said he was a local, but I believe, from all of his talk about his new-old Cherokee 140, that he really was the Pie Police and attempting to divert our attention from the pies. After we had heard about the gentleman's problems with his ARC radios in the Cherokee, which confirmed to me that he was a PP Officer, we made it into the restaurant. To our dismay, a few of the pies had already been euthanized by others and so, to keep up our cover, the three of us ordered our own slices of pie to eat at the table. We attempted to order some slices of pie to go and found that, in the strawberry pie's case, we were too late! There was only one piece left! Well, we grabbed that and a chocolate pie slice to go and we high-tailed it out of there. No one was the wiser! And two more pie slices escaped with us!

Mission completed so we played in the sky and did some formation flying, taking photos and videos. Here are a few photos of Dale's RV-7:

After Dale landed at Medina, Bernie proceeded to lay smoke down to hide our arrival.

It was a very well-laid smoke pattern, as we flew downwind and plotted our landing. We observed our smoke and noted that it would serve us well by hiding our tracks on the runway and into the hangar. No one would see the pie getting away!

As we came around on base to final in an attempt to land, we found that, maybe, the plan was working too well. The winds had left northeast Ohio for the night and left us with a static smoke line on the runway!

As Bernie got close to the runway, the smoke enveloped us and, in the interest of safety, Bernie did a go-around. It being a calm night with unlimited visibility had nothing to do with it!

Bernie and I decided that, since the smoke was still hanging around, we didn't have to go home just yet. So we left the pattern and added some rolls to Bernie's Roll Counter. I'm not sure if the pie made it thru the third roll, though.

We watched the sun set and then watched it rise, then set again, and repeated another time.
All in all, a great time! (Now I need to finish my 14 year project!)

Thanks, Bernie and Dale!

Want your pics published on AV8Magazine?

Hi Gary

Do you think Bernie would like some pics of his RV-7 published in our free online aviation magazine - wwwav8magazine.com

We have a special monthly feature 'Reach for the Sky' to showcase homebuilts and restorations.

This month we feature RV's exclusively.

Any pics / aircraft info can be sent to me at [email protected]

Nice!

Nice pie caper! Great shots of Dale & Bernie's RVs!
Looking forward to seeing more of your progress and first flight!
Thanks for the tour this week.
John

The red adding machine!

I love the picture of the red counter! I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid in the 60's! My mom would have me follow her around the supermarket adding up all her purchases with one of those to ensure that she didn't overspend her budget.

Where did you find that? I would have thought that those disappeared after the advent of the cheap calculator.

Pie Flight

Would this be the Fairfield County Airport near Akron Ohio? Looks like it would be a short flight south of Cleveland for us RVer's here in South Western Ontario.

Dave C
RV-7
C-GCPD

Carroll County, southeast of Akron-Canton Airport. http://airnav.com/airport/KTSO

Nice little restaurant. A lot of RV's go there for a meal, or pie:) Watch for the deer in the morning and evening:eek:

Yeah, heavy equipment. What is the gross of that 737 "heavy equipment" your pushing?

KTSO - Yep, I second that. Best pie in Ohio. I was a frequent flyer there when I lived "up North" with you Yankees.

Now I'm one of the few that have to travel North to get to Sun N Fun.

Maybe I will see you at Sun N Fun. Call me if you are going.

Now get back to work on that -6....