aadamson

Well Known Member
George,

I'm just curious. You obviously don't feel that Composite constructions is as good as Aluminum. I'd like to know why? Is it just a personal preference, etc?

I did a little searching on Google and found some interesting factoids. Before I put them here. Is it not true that most of the commercial airlines have adopted composites for their benefits? NASA, Airbus, Boeing, etc. Also, isn't the F22 Raptor all built in composites? Doesn't NASCAR and CART, and the IRL mandate that the "driver capsule" be designed and built to specific safety specifications and those are only met by composite construction?

I'm certainly *NOT* a structural engineer, so I don't know the answer to the following. Is there a dramatic difference between eglass construction and carbon fiber construction that makes carbon *not* have some of the negatives that you've talked about? (NOTE: the racing guys all use Carbon)

Here is a quote I found very interesting, especially in light of your comments about "egg shells" and composite construction.

Why Composite versus Aluminum -
Testing shows standard and reinforced aluminum seats do not withstand multiple impacts like composite seats. Testing of composite seats shows frontal, rearward and passenger lateral impact - incorporating Willans six-point restraints, HANS restraints, bead foam head and body inserts (not shown) - showed impact loads well above survivable. The more rigid design prevents belts from loosening during impact and has higher fatigue resistance. The seat will always try to return to its as-made shape and will not crumple and injure driver as aluminum can. The composite seat is up to eight pounds lighter than comparably equipped aluminum seat.

One final note.... The construction techniques used in Composite Kits today are dramatically different than those used 5-10 years ago. Example, here is the inside of my left wing panel, before closing. You can see the "spars", the ribs and the lower skin.

Outboard wing panel
DSCN0532.sized.jpg

Top wing skin
DSCN0533.sized.jpg

Finished wings
DSCN0543.sized.jpg

Note: the wings were finished in 1 day. so there is a definite advantage to build time with this kit.

Horz stab
DSCN0527.sized.jpg

Alan that looks really great. I think you have a nice flying machine there.
I am not flaming you with this but I do have a question. Why do you come to an all aluminum aircraft site and take exception to someone?s opinion of a composite aircraft? I am a member of a NSX web site and guys with Corvettes come over a get PO'ed when someone with a NSX insults a Vet. Maybe it?s just me but I wouldn?t go to a Lancair web site and get PO?ed if the Lancair guys don?t like RV?s or Pipers. A friend of mine, his grandfather used to say, ?We all can?t like the same thing or we would all be sleeping with your Grandmother?. :confused:

I enjoy Adam's excellent tech advice. I just wish he'd go torment some plastic airplane group forum when he feels the need to do comparisons. Or just plain mention plastic airplanes.

OTOH-- Son, in the RV-10 post brought up Lancairs so-- of course the Plastic airplane guy is going to help out.

down george. :eek:

"That's my opinion, should be yours."

Misc rambelings

Most interesting thing in Adams quote was about fatigue resistance. Actually your quote can be interpeted as SUPPORTING Georges contention that aluminum a/c absorb energy by crumpling.

Terry, I dont know how long you have been following the "feud", but as I recall the first time I can recall seeing a post from Adam was about avaionoics, and he has repetedly stated that he is perusing this site to gain info about what is oging on in the homebuilt world that is of benifet to him---my phrasing, not his.

The REAL interesting thing is that George and Adam BOTH have a lot of good info, and cant seem to keep from taking offence at something the other says.

Please pass the popcorn, LOTS of butter.

Mike

P.S., Adam, all wet wing, and spoilers?

Last edited:
One thing is for certain, that wing needs more access panels. I'm working on a friends Glasair 1 RG, and the lack of access in the wings is a MAJOR problem now that he has a fuel leak!

I think one of the major advantages of composite construction is eliminated by the crashworthiness issue. Basically, most composite airplanes are overbuilt because they have to stay together in a crash, not because they need to be stronger for everyday operations. By very nature composites don't like impact. They tend to just revert to their original form, glue and string.

Last edited:
Glad you guys like it

See, I'm really good for entertainment value :)...

As for some of you... MY NAME IS ALAN :D . Seriously, I just have too many "A"'s and too many syliables in my name, so I answer to ADAM as well :).

As for the access panels comment. The Lancair "Legacy" uses a wet wing that is full length. The only section that isn't wet is the tip. On one side there is an embedded dipole NAV antenna, and the other wig tip is empty. Most put their GPS/WX antennas or Magnetometers out there. The wing is all carbon skin, with Carbon uni making the cap strips on both spars and fiberglass making the web. The Gray you see is a sealer that is used to provide a barrier between the fuel and the laminates.

When the wings are closed, each wing is pressure tested to 10psi to make sure there are no leaks. HySol and flox is used to close the wing surfaces It's a much stronger bonding material than epoxy and yet retains a small amount of flexibility and does not become brittle.

Please accept some of my posts for their intent. Just an alternate view of building. I certainly will never tell anyone here how to pound a rivet or bend or form aluminum. And I will never tell you that your airplane is unsafe either. George decided to resort to that with mine for who know what reason?

Alan...
Thanks for the pictures, and personal insight on composite...

I once built a boat...I built it out of wood...why wood ya say???? Cause I like working with wood. Could have built it out of aluminum, fiberglass...bark even...Enjoyed it alot.
Point being...we all build because we are inspired to do so...Some like rag/dope over tube...some like aluminum...some like glue/solvents/composite...
The best airplane you can build is the one that inspires you to finish it...and love the "process."
Can't remember ever seeing a plane I didn't like in some way???

Thanks Terry

TerryPancake said:
Alan that looks really great. I think you have a nice flying machine there.
I am not flaming you with this but I do have a question. Why do you come to an all aluminum aircraft site and take exception to someone?s opinion of a composite aircraft? I am a member of a NSX web site and guys with Corvettes come over a get PO'ed when someone with a NSX insults a Vet. Maybe it?s just me but I wouldn?t go to a Lancair web site and get PO?ed if the Lancair guys don?t like RV?s or Pipers. A friend of mine, his grandfather used to say, ?We all can?t like the same thing or we would all be sleeping with your Grandmother?. :confused:

Thanks for your comments Terry. I really don't take exception with the comments until someone decides to tell me that airplane A is unsafe compared to airplane B just because it's built of of different materials. There is simply no basis for fact in the statement and I'd hate for someone to make a determination of A vs. B because of it.

BTW, numbers are not proof. Designers for years have built "safe" designs from all kinds of materials. In fact, that is really the specific point. Design goals dictate how a material is used. And either material can be designed in to be safe.

My point, and if you go read my posts is pretty clear. There are those of you that like to build "all purpose" airplanes and those that like to build "specific purpose" airplanes. I'm fine with the RV's being considered "all purpose". But understand the tradeoffs with accepting that. I certainly do understand the tradeoffs with my decision to build a "specific purpose" airplane with plastic.

Nail on the head!

TerryWighs said:
Alan...
Thanks for the pictures, and personal insight on composite...

I once built a boat...I built it out of wood...why wood ya say???? Cause I like working with wood. Could have built it out of aluminum, fiberglass...bark even...Enjoyed it alot.
Point being...we all build because we are inspired to do so...Some like rag/dope over tube...some like aluminum...some like glue/solvents/composite...
The best airplane you can build is the one that inspires you to finish it...and love the "process."
Can't remember ever seeing a plane I didn't like in some way???

You my friend hit the nail right on the head! Thanks for the comments. Yep, I like fast, sleek, go somewhere airplanes.... For me, now that's the Legacy. But as I've said before, there will be an f1 Rocket in my future...... sometime! (actually, I hope the M1 sees the light of day).

Actually

Mike S said:
Most interesting thing in Adams quote was about fatigue resistance. Actually your quote can be interpeted as SUPPORTING Georges contention that aluminum a/c absorb energy by crumpling.

Terry, I dont know how long you have been following the "feud", but as I recall the first time I can recall seeing a post from Adam was about avaionoics, and he has repetedly stated that he is perusing this site to gain info about what is oging on in the homebuilt world that is of benifet to him---my phrasing, not his.

The REAL interesting thing is that George and Adam BOTH have a lot of good info, and cant seem to keep from taking offence at something the other says.

Please pass the popcorn, LOTS of butter.

Mike

P.S., Adam, all wet wing, and spoilers?

You'd probably be suprised at how much George and I think alike. :eek:

Crumpling is an interesting concept. Would you rather that the "structure" crumple.... or withstand more energy before it becomes distorted (in the case of carbon "shears"). Again design goals come to play. Let's take a box of similar thickness in Carbon and in Aluminum. Now let's put weight on it until it deforms. How will the carbon deform? Most likely it will shear and crack and break. The Aluminum? It will "crumple", crack or break. Will one hold more weight before the deformation occurs? I don't know, it will all be determined by how they are designed. Now add weight limits into the equation and all the dynamics change.

I believe that is what they are saying that small clip. A design in Carbon, seems to take more structural load before it deforms than aluminum at the benefit of being a few pounds lighter.

Oh, before I forget - In answer to the questions, yes, all wet wing (65 gallons), and there is a molded box for speed brakes. I'm not putting them on mine, they are too expensive of an option and one that I just don't see the need for. Maybe with RG it would be worth it, but with gear down and welded, I suspect pulling the throttle will provide dynamic braking and drag :)

This is exactly what I find so invigorating about your forums.... There are some that are curious of the "others". Not because one is better or worse, simply because one is different. As they say "to each their own"

mark manda said:
I just wish he'd go torment some plastic airplane group forum when he feels the need to do comparisons. Or just plain mention plastic airplanes.
First, they come after the plastic airplane guys. Then the Rockets. Then the RV variants. Before too long, it's a ghost town around here.

This would be one boring place if the only folks here were just RV builders and flyers. Really, how many primer questions do you feel like reading and answering?

I've conversed with both Alan and George in the past. I've found both to be professional and knowledgable. I don't object to Alan mentioning his Lancair any more than I object to George's extremely long posts. Both add value, as I hope I do.

However, I am VERY jealous of George's icons. :D

FWIW - I for one like to hear about the other homebuilts out there.

Back when the Glasair first came out I was in love with it. Then the Lancair 200 showed how two people could go 200 MPH on 100hp. What a great airplane! That little airplane grew up and still looks great!

Would I want one, not unless I can find an unfinished 200. Even then I'm not sure I would fit in it.

The GlasStar is another airplane that intrigues me and is something I may look at in the future but first I have to finish my -9.

BTW, I doubt we will ever see an RV hanging in the Modern Museum of Art like a Lancair

Lance Neibauer, the ?Lance? in Lancair is (was?) an artist by trade. Van is an engineer by trade. The differences in their airplanes reflect their backgrounds. Not to say the RV?s are ugly, just not as attractive as the Lancairs with all their swoopy curves.

Lance, etc

N941WR said:
BTW, I doubt we will ever see an RV hanging in the Modern Museum of Art like a Lancair

Lance Neibauer, the ?Lance? in Lancair is (was?) an artist by trade. Van is an engineer by trade. The differences in their airplanes reflect their backgrounds. Not to say the RV?s are ugly, just not as attractive as the Lancairs with all their swoopy curves.

Lance *is* very much around. He sold the Lancair Kit company to Joe Bartels and then founded the Lancair commercial company now called Columbia. Last Oct when I was at the build assist course at the factory, he was still on the board of the Commercial company and consulted to them.

The 300, 350, 400 Columbia's have a significant heritage with the Lancair ES (Super ES as I found out recently). While the wing carries a different airfoil, it's still based upon the original, some of the changes include the "cuff" on the leading edge to improve the stall, etc. Fuselage looks the same, controls are still side mounted, etc.

Who knows - it happened with the GlaStar (Symphony is the same airplane, licnesed from them), it happened with the Lancair Super ES (Columbia's). Maybe there will be a certifed RV in the future. :)...

Last edited:
I didn't read all the other posts at all..So, I am a little behind L/D Max. I love seeing what everybody else is building and how everybody else is building whatever it is. I can learn from all of it.
Thanks.. I know one thing is for sure it is always hard to get "tone" or "infliction" in a post so I know it's easy for me to think I see flames when really there isn't even smoke...Debates are good, as long as they don't get personal. :D :D

aadamson said:
Thanks for your comments Terry. I really don't take exception with the comments until someone decides to tell me that airplane A is unsafe compared to airplane B just because it's built of of different materials. There is simply no basis for fact in the statement and I'd hate for someone to make a determination of A vs. B because of it.

BTW, numbers are not proof. Designers for years have built "safe" designs from all kinds of materials. In fact, that is really the specific point. Design goals dictate how a material is used. And either material can be designed in to be safe.

My point, and if you go read my posts is pretty clear. There are those of you that like to build "all purpose" airplanes and those that like to build "specific purpose" airplanes. I'm fine with the RV's being considered "all purpose". But understand the tradeoffs with accepting that. I certainly do understand the tradeoffs with my decision to build a "specific purpose" airplane with plastic.

I read the first line and skipped the rest

Clearly a challenge to me direct in the form of a thread. Unfortunate. I can't
believe I need to defend my opinion composites suck, but let me be clear
composites are not deficient in strength. I never said that.
00000034.gif

If you want a dialog on what I think, than write direct. I am not going to get
into the Joy of composites on a RV related site. I am NOT anti-composites,
but frankly much prefer working with metal.

If you want to talk structures I would be glad to, write me. However to start
a thread as challenge to me personally, awww shucks NO! That's not going to
cut it, but I will make general comments.

----------------------------------------

Yes I have analyzed advanced aerospace stuff, both aluminum and
composites for the military and commercial aircraft in a previous life. I'm may
be a little more than familiar with composite primary structure. It is great
stuff. It did not usually save weight or cost, but we could say we had a
composite tail like Airbus.
( Aren't the composite tails falling off Airbus
and AD's issued? The last on that came off was blaimed on the pilots.
)

There are material properties of an all composite plane that makes it
tough to design a safe structure for occupants
, because its TOO strong.
The "bending" of a steel welded cage or monocoque aluminum structure is
what absorbs energy. To be honest I have never designed an all composite
plane, but I am familiar with the re-wing of old Navy A6's, with a carbon fiber
wing. It was not successful. It was too heavy and so stiff it beat the
hell out of the crew and fuselage.

The B2 could not me made with metal. go composites, but one of the most
awesome planes to fly, the SR71, was (titanium), go metals. In general any
plane can be made out of either material. Metal can be stretched formed.
Most jet wings are machined out of huge solid aluminum plate. Composites
have the advantage in complex shape tooling, but they are not cheap, easy
to make, inspect or repair if a mistake is made. Every thing has to be perfect
in the process or it is junk.

You don't really need super fancy complex compound curves to make a fast
plane. P-51 and many modern jet fighters are made (whittled) mostly from
solid metal. The latest Gen fighters, like the F22 are more composites, but
most of the primary substructure is still metal I believe. Clearly for stealth
composites skins are best. However not sure how that applies to a little kit
plane.

So I am comfortable with both metal and composite construction, but the
latter for a small kit plane for myself, not so much. That's all. However, did I
say composites suck and metal rules.
00000035.gif

Nothing wrong with composites, however they are usually incorporated in
little aircraft with high wing loadings, like the Lancair IV, thus have high stall
speeds, thus more landing energy, which is a Big-Ol-negative IF an off field
(crash) landing is needed. That is significant energy. All these are factors
in crash worthiness. Add a stiff composite airframe that will NOT absorb
energy, you have an issue. It is an issue than can be solved with engineering
but most kit planes do not have energy absorbing seats, especially the
composite ones that need it the most

RV's stall in the low low 50's (mph) for gosh sakes. That's pretty awesome.
Now NASA did some test on composite fuselages, aka Cirrus, and you need
high energy absorbing restraint systems. Is a RV safer? Probably a little.
Mostly from the advantage of it's low low stall speed
, slower than C152.

As far as Lancair "speeds", they are just fiberglass RV's with REAL big
engines. Well why do they have higher Vne? Well because they are over built
and designed that way. Van's control surfaces are made for handling, not
extream high speed cruise. There's no secret, no free lunch. If you want a
high speed cruiser with big engine and little wing than you will sacrifice,
landing, handling and aerobatics. Look composites has nothing to do with it.
The SX-300 is all metal and is even "hotter" than the Lancair. Would I like a
SX-300, heck yea.

It's not Rocket Science: Big engine, little airframe, little wing, smooth
streamlined surface. The formula has not changed. It can be done in
metal or composites
. You want fast metal get a SX-300/Questair Venture.
You want plastic, clearly the lancair is the main game in town, unless you go
with the new NXT- (single seater from John Sharp- nemesis). NXT or Wow NXT

Here is an example, the Lancair Legacy FG with 200HP cruises at 210 mph at
8,000 ft. That is the same (slightly less) as a RV-4/6/7/8 with the same size
engine. There's no BETTER, just differnt.

You can make a metal plane smooth and fast. However the cowl, cowl and
fairings would be hard to make from metal. When it comes to compound
curves composites have a clear advantage. (There, I said it. That's the only
nice thing I will say about glue and string ever again, ha ha.)

I hope that settles it. You would think I drew a funny cartoon of someones
mother or deity. Its just my opinion. I just prefer a plane I can safely make
a forced landing in, at min speed, that bends and protects my bee-hind. I
also like saving lots of money

I love the Swearingen SX-300. SX-300 . That little hot rod is sexxxxxy.
It is all metal and has a hot stall speed (75 Kts.), like a Lancair IV (claimed 75
mph stall, cafe foundation 76.3 mph). I would consider one, but God help you
with either in an off field landing. With a composite Lancair, you better have
16 g seats that absorb energy because the airframe will not do it.

For a general over-all fun plane the RV is best for me in every way. Cost,
construction ease, handling, safety and just because. Can't believe I am
defending I like RV's here, but I am.
I am sorry to all composite/Lancair
fans I am not validating your choice. I'll respect you in the morning, but don't
have to like it, do I?

There is a reason RV's sell the most and Lancair almost went bankrupt.

If you want to convince me of the superiority of Lancair's or composites
Don't. However if you feel you must write me to tell me how wounderful your
glue and string soul less flying hot tub is, write me email direct. Save the
threads in my honor.

Cheers George

Last edited:
Shucks!

George, you showed great restraint.

As I mentioned in a previous post, George and I share lots of the same ideals.... And now we have the basic difference. He prefers metal, I prefer plastic. Both have our own reasons. Both have our own flight profiles. AND YES, THEY DIFFER.

Even George admits that the SX-300 would be for him. If I remember right there is one that races at Reno in the sport class, but I can't remember where it finished?

So, there, I think this settles the George vs. the Lancair Guy debate.

Do I think this changed anyones mind, one way or the other, I doubt it. Never was my intent anyway. As most of the guys that I hang with that fly plastic airplanes say.... "The RV's are real nice airplanes, we just prefer the looks" and in my case utility for my filight profile of the plastic ones.

BTW, as a point of reference, in an off airport landing, if a stabilized approach could be made due to engine failure, etc I think I'd take any retractable airplane over a down and welded version. A friend of mine ran out of fuel in his Legacy (don't go there...), had to go off airport, landed in a huge field, missed the oak trees at the approach end. DIDNT extend the gear on purpose. Probably best decision he made. Plane skidded to a stop, never nosed over, didn't tear up the bottom of it. Unfortunately, he didn't miss the steel fence posts - one caught each wing outboard section, and one caught the inboard section. He'll have it flying again in a month or so. Cost him a tear down and new prop and some work, but nothing too much more.

As for the tails falling off Airbus's. George, you must have missed the memo... No tail has ever fallen off, or even come close. A RUDDER was broken off not due to a failure of the composites, but a software error that allowed the rudder to be over driven from side to side with the mechanical movement mechanism. The Pilot put the control input into it and the mechanical mechanism over drove the surface.

Lancair almost went bankrupt? Huh.... I think you confused them with Glasair. That never happened to Lancair, in fact, the commercial company, which was spun off well after the Kit company was the company that almost went bankrupt. Glad to see both made it tho.

Last edited:
Crumbeling

Alan, I used the term in a very loose and general way----------Energy absorbtion by controlled collapsing, folding, crushing, or whatever you want to call it, is what I was trying to illustrate. Think of how modern cars are designed to sacrifice the sheet metal in the front end in the name of safety.

I was just trying to point out that your citing the strength of the c/f vs. aluminum actually supported George's contention about safety.

In reality, the best example of safe design I can think of uses both crush, and ridgity----------think a roll cage inside of a race car.

Anyway, the real difference isnt so much in the materials, it is in the way the thing is designed and built.

Just for the record, I currently fly a rag and tube airplane, and have both a plastic----Dragonfly, and metal----the RV, going. All have good points and bad, but all fit into different missions, as you keep mentioning.

Good luck with your bird, and remember that the most important safety feature of any plane is the pilot. Just dont ever run out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas at the same time--------------

Mike

I worked in and around the graphite composite industry for almost 20 years, so I do have a little knowledge with the stuff. It is a great material for extreme duty applications, where light weight and corrosion or extreme heat are factors, but it is generally prohibitively expensive and difficult to manufacture correctly. I love the sexy sleek and expensive Lancairs that Ive seen- but they are not for me.

Problems: Strength is proportional more to the resins used than fibers, and most aerospace-strength resins require complicated heat curing cycles in autoclaves and big ovens, and often also require big freezers to store b-staged prepregged materials. Contamination from oils, and many other common pollutants, are a huge concern. Weight and strength are often a function of controlling resin content and special equipment and testing are needed to control resin content accurately in most applications. The complex shapes often require computerized tape or fiber laying equipment to achieve optimal weight-to-strength. Aerospace quality control requires x-ray equipment to identify part voids and delaminations that degrade strength.

Needless to say, most of the equipment required to get the most out of composite structures are beyond the scope of most home shops. The materials most home builders use are far from ideal- more suited to boat building and auto body construction, things like room-curing epoxy or polyester resins, various household foams of questionable quality, homemade molds and release agents , and fiberglass reinforcing materials. I have no doubt that the whole process can work, to some extent, but I really question how much of a weight or strength advantage is really achieved over an easier to build rivited-aluminum plane. I would imagine that the preformed kits, like Lancairs, probably have better quality control than the hand glass laid over foam canard aircraft being made these days.

My biggest driver in selecting metal over glass is that I prefer the all-around performance designs that Van built, at least over the faster stall-speed glass model kits on the market. That, and I hate the resin smell, endless sanding, and glass/graphite slivers that accompany composite construction. Besides, anyone can go marginally faster with a bigger motor power and higher fuel burn rates. :eek:

Back to "Mission Profiles"

Mike, thanks for helping make my previous point. Mission profiles are what dictates what airplane you buy, make, etc. Pretty clear and simple.

As a point of reference. The Lancairs kits are actually made by a company in Singapore. In the case of the Carbon versions they are "prepreg" made in a mold and then cured in an autoclave. This company has been around for many years and makes parts for the "big iron" companies. I'll have to go look at one of the tags to see what its name is. But they are manufactured as you suggest and are also quality checked.

Also Lancair makes the ultralite sailplane for Greg Cole the designer of the Legacy. I've watched as they go to the "freezer" get the prepreg, roll, move, roll, cut, move, roll, then tack down with a heatgun. All this takes place in a huge mold, and then they take a huge vacuum bag and vacuum bag the entire mold. Then out of the ceiling comes the "surround" from the oven.... Baked at 275 degrees for 12 hours I think - I could be wrong as I didn't watch this part.

Also all the resin is Aerospace stuff. These aren't built like the glasairs are, where first you paint gelcoat into the mold, then a chop gun is used to blow glass and resin into the mold building it up to the correct thickness, then allowed to cure, nor are they built on foam cores.

Alan,
Ive owned 2 Glasairs and they dont use chop strand anywhere. Only eglass and vinelyester resin. May I also add that there has never been an inflight breakup of a Glasair.
Vans uses polyester on some stuff and epoxy on the rest.

My next ride is a 7.

I'm going metal for the sake of my neighbors.

I'm sure the noise might get me some complaints, but I'm also pretty sure the smell of composite construction could bring legal action.

Funny

Mr. Mikey said:

I'm sure the noise might get me some complaints, but I'm also pretty sure the smell of composite construction could bring legal action.

Ya know, I joke about breathing epoxy fumes.... But actually there aren't any. Now Acetone yes, but about the only bad thing from a small perspective with composites is a) always use gloves cuz you build up a reaction to the epoxy and it isn't good for you; b) if sanding, always wear a resparator, breathing the fine dust isn't good, especially if it's carbon dust!

Hmmm

rv72004 said:
Alan,
Ive owned 2 Glasairs and they dont use chop strand anywhere. Only eglass and vinelyester resin. May I also add that there has never been an inflight breakup of a Glasair.
Vans uses polyester on some stuff and epoxy on the rest.

My next ride is a 7.

Well, then I stand corrected. What have you owned? I put money down on a Glasair IIS, but never took delivery, this was about the time they went thru their financial troubles the first time. I went and toured the factory in 91 or 92 and I could have sworn that they were using a chop gun on the fuse halfs.

Unfortunately, the inflight breakups have happened with a Lancair. A recent IV accident and I know of one Legacy. Both of these were continued flight into CAT 5 thunderstroms with severe turbulance and could have easily been avoided :(

I kinda like the idea that I can drive a just few rivets if that's all I have time for.

If I build composite, would it be possible to take such small steps or is there some minimum batch assembly?

Fast or Slow

Mr. Mikey said:
I kinda like the idea that I can drive a just few rivets if that's all I have time for.

If I build composite, would it be possible to take such small steps or is there some minimum batch assembly?

You can do how ever much you like. There are assemblies that are larger, but tasks break down to small steps. The advantage to the newer construction methods and kit completeness removes any need for lengthy sessions. The longest/largest layup that I've had to do was the leading edge bids on the wings.

Anyone serious about a Lancair should consider 2 weeks at the factory build assist. By doing so, you remove any need for Jigs going forward and you get all the large assemblies done (wings, canopy, Horz stab, elevators, rudder and stub wings and load pads. I'm building mine in a 15x21' room with a 11gal compressor and a small work table. Have had no problems and don't expect any. I do have the ability to open a large door when I need to put a wing panel on and complete the flaps (which btw are already done for you, you just attach them).

aadamson said:
Well, then I stand corrected. What have you owned? I put money down on a Glasair IIS, but never took delivery, this was about the time they went thru their financial troubles the first time. I went and toured the factory in 91 or 92 and I could have sworn that they were using a chop gun on the fuse halfs.

Unfortunately, the inflight breakups have happened with a Lancair. A recent IV accident and I know of one Legacy. Both of these were continued flight into CAT 5 thunderstroms with severe turbulance and could have easily been avoided :(

Both were Glasair III. The later one was a 250lbs lighter than the first and flew a lot better. I bought the first one flying and learnt my leason on how to not buy used kit planes.

I personally saw a GIII that went thru a thunderstorm got inverted went to plus/minus plenty on the g meter and was struck by lightning all at once. The lucky fellow made it out alive, eventually. The fibreglass had small holes around the windshield and cowling. Almost like it had exploded out.

Mr. Mikey said:

And the sound of a rivet gun pounding aluminum for a couple of hours at a time in a garage isn't? :D

I've had my neighbors over several times asking me what I was doing when I was riveting. When I built my Long-EZ, the people only showed up when I had large fiberglass assemblies laying out in the driveway. I can remember a parade of cars on most weekends, people who followed my progress by driving by!

My movtivation to go with an RV was even simpler. Metal airplanes give me more of a warm fuzzy feeling, and I couldn't afford a Glass one. Glasair IIS would have been my choice if I could. I did consider a Glastar as well, but for the money, you can't beat an RV.