flickroll

Well Known Member
I eventually want to upgrade the panel in my RV-8 and make it a little more capable for IFR than it currently is. The existing panel is a Dynon EFIS D-100, EMS D-120, Dynon autopilot, G 696 and a G SL30 nav/com. Originally I had thought about upgrading to Dynon Skyview, and keep my G696 and add a G 430W. But I want a redundant EFIS system, and I don't think 2 - 7" Skyview screens will stack in an RV-8 panel. Plus Dynon has a lot more features to add before I would purchase Skyview, and as many features that are currently missing I think it will be quite some time...

I'm arriving at a dual GRT 6.5" HX system (although I am somewhat aghast at the price!) plus a Tru-Trak autopilot. I do have a few questions:

Is the GRT EIS required for engine parameters to be displayed on the EFIS screens? IMO the EIS is outdated and cheesy looking....maybe locate it in an unobtrusive location if it is required.

Has anyone done a Dynon to GRT swap? Will Dynon probes, transducers, etc. work with the GRT system? Many of them look to be the same.

I thought I had read that GRT ships a dual AHARS standard for the price of a single AHARS for a 2 screen system, but I can't find that again on their website. And their pricing wizard adds $1000 for a dual AHARS.

How 'good' is the GRT XM weather on this unit? Any issues? I'd like to ditch the G 696 if at all possible because it consumes a lot of panel space.

Will the GRT units display airport info (freqs, elev, runway orientation, etc.)? That capability would be crucial if I am to ditch the G 696.

Will the GRT EFIS units display trim position from a Ray Allen servo?

What is required for angle of attack to be displayed?

Does the GRT EFIS interact directly with autopilot servos? Is a Tru Trak control head required, or do you just need Tru Trak servos?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a dual GRT screen and just love them, so pls be aware as my response maybe some what bias.
First, if the cost of GRT is an issue, you may want to consider one HX and one HS, it will be about $2K cheaper but you still have SV, ARINC 429 and processor for XM weather, this is the route I went, and you can always upgrade with no issue. I believe the dual AHRS offer was for a limited time and no longer is offered but GRT can answer that better. I highly recommend the dual AHRS. The EIS is required for engine data and if you don't like the look of it or don't have space then you can mount it in a remote location but I have mounted the EIS from the back side of the panel and only the screen and three buttons show thru the panel. It actually looks very attractive. I can send you pix if you are interested. The XM works great, currently does not show cloud but I am told that they are working on that and will be supported in future. But you will get rain, lightning, wind at different altitudes, IFR, etc.
You have all the airport data by selecting the airport and going to the detail page. If you have XM Weather, it will also have the TAF or any weather related info in the detail page of the airport. The airport orientation is very clear specially in the HX, so as I get closer to an airport and zoom my map, it will show the runway orientation with runway numbers and extended line thru the runway which can help setting up on downwind/base, etc. This is very useful when going to new airports. It can show trim position from Ray Allen, this is can be done for two servos.

Also a lot of good features that works well with Garmin (430/SL30/40) I can send frequencies from GRT to my SL40, set OBS on 430 which is very useful for holds, etc.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that although that EIS has a non-graphical screen, the power consumption of that unit is almost nill. I have a dual H1 system without redundant batteries, and on start, the H1 will cycle due to voltage sag (see another thread on that one). The EIS will not re-boot and allows monitoring of oil pressure during your start. As others have said, you can mount it from the rear to only see the buttons and screen, or there is a bezzel you can purchase to give it a cleaner look. I believe you'll need that unit as well to feed engine data to your EFIS via RS323. As an engine monitor, that EIS has been around for a long time is is basically bullet-proof.

How 'good' is the GRT XM weather on this unit? Any issues? I'd like to ditch the G 696 if at all possible because it consumes a lot of panel space.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The GRT shows good XM wx except it will not show Canadian weather or Metars etc.

I have a dual 6.5 GRT with a 430W, TT VSGV, sl40. I do not have dual AHARS. Instead I have backup insturments TT ADI, altimeter and airspeed. I also have XM weather on my GRT. I upgraded my panel for IFR and have really enjoyed it. I hand fly my practice approaches to stay current. When I use the full capabilites of the system the stress level goes way way down. It almost feels like cheating as you sit back and monitor the systems adjust the power and watch everything unfold to perfection. The only thing you have to do is remember to disconnect the autopilot drop some flaps and land the plane. LPV's could not be easier. To answer some of your questions.

1. The EIS is required. I have mine mounted on the inside back of the "glove box" I only used the EIS to set up the system at the start and have not had to touch it once it is dialed in. putting charts in the glove box has not changed the settings. Alarms are controlled from the EFIS.

2. I do not know about using the Dynon probes

3. They did not have the free dual AHARS when I purchased my system. I talked to the folks at GRT I explained to them the backup intruments I was planning on. Their feeling was that it would not be required to have it with the backups. If I did not do the backups they recomended the dual AHARS. I prefer to have different types of backups. The TT ADI also has a backup battery and a gps.

4. I have the XM weather and really enjoy it. It really helps with cross country flights. I use the nexrad and metars the most. I have heard that the 696 has a better presentation of XM weather so you might be dissapointed in the GRT XM but it works well for me. I did have some problems with my XM antenna but that has been solved.

5. The GRT shows airport details, orientation, altitude, non standard traffic patterns, airspace upper and lower limits, metars if plugged in to XM weather and availability. It shows other things I just don't remember them all. Once again perhaps the 696 shows things in a better way, I do not know.

6. I use the GRT to show my ray allen flap position. I have manual trims so I could not comment there.

7. The AOA is computer driven. You just activate it then go and fly the plane to set up the calibration on it. It shows on the upper left of the primary flight display. I fly the "green ball" down the final and get short landing distances.

8. I don't think that the GRT will drive the autopilot servos. I use the TT VSGV as another backup intrument. It shows ground track and levels the wings and controls the altitude.

I do not have a compass in the plane. If the AHARS goes down I will be on my backup instruments. Three of which show ground track. With ATC help I should be able to get where I need to go.

One reason that I like dual AHRS is that it does cross check between the two and if one of the sensor is out of whack then you will know. I guess it is less likely that it all fails together then report wrong info and if you are not cross checking it all the time with your back up instrument, you might not find out about the faulty sensor. But if the choice is between dual AHRS vs. back up steam gauges, then I highly recommend back up steam gauges. To me for IFR flying those are a must.

One reason that I like dual AHRS is that it does cross check between the two and if one of the sensor is out of whack then you will know. I guess it is less likely that it all fails together then report wrong info and if you are not cross checking it all the time with your back up instrument, you might not find out about the faulty sensor. But if the choice is between dual AHRS vs. back up steam gauges, then I highly recommend back up steam gauges. To me for IFR flying those are a must.

If I go the GRT route (likely) I would go with dual AHRS and dual HX screens for a redundant system, and perhaps an RC Allen electronic AI just in case. I agree no backup while IFR is not a good place to be. That is why I'm likely to change my existing Dynon panel which has no backup, except for the GPS derived 6 pack on the 696 screen. And I would not want to bet my bacon on that.

I appreciate all of the responses, and if anyone has more to offer I'd appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Another option would be to use a single screen and a dynon EFIS-D6 for the backup. That would cut the cost down and give you redundancy, however you would be required to cross check as it isn't done for you.

You could also go AFS. The engine monitor is built in which is nice if you don't want to use an external one, also, they have a backup battery that is internal to the unit which is also pretty nice.

schu

You could also go AFS. The engine monitor is built in which is nice if you don't want to use an external one, also, they have a backup battery that is internal to the unit which is also pretty nice.

Would most likely go with Advanced but I can't stack 2 screens in an 8. Stacking 2 screens is a requirement on my panel planning checklist.