pierre smith

Well Known Member
Aviation language can be confusing to newbies, so I decided to start this thread and you guys can add to it as you see fit:

STATIC. Could be either the static air system for your instruments or static RPM. Static RPM is the most the engine will turn while stationary.

LOP: Fuel-air mixture "Lean-of-peak"...the engine is leaned to peak temps with the EGT gauge and then leaned further...LOP.
ROP: The engine is leaned to peak EGT's, then enriched 50-70 deg...ROP.

WOT: Wide open throttle operation, as in take-off and in racing.

EFIS: The new "glass" screens for Electronic Flight Information Systems, instead of the old round (aka "Steam" gauges).

EIS: Engine Information System...detailed engine monitoring with all engine parameters.

AHARS: Attitude and Heading sensors for the EFIS.

RNAV: Usually an approach to an airport using the GPS, WITHOUT vertical guidance.

LPV approach: Precision Lateral and Vertical GPS guidance during an instrument approach.

Others?

Last edited:
great idea Pierre

CAVU: clear and visibility unlimited
GADAHRS: same as AHARS but with GPS and something else as part of the black box...
MAP: could be a chart or manifold air pressure
MAG: could be a magneto or magnetometer

Slightly different than an acronym, but on the builder instructions, on parts with an "L" the "L" can stand for

Left, Lower OR Longer. Sometimes it's not obvious!

Keep 'em coming

Jeremy

SV - Synthetic vision
WAAS - Wide Area Augmentation System
LNAV - Lateral Navigation

i.e. -
LNAV/VNAV approach mins are higher then LPV mins

EVS - Enhanced Vision (the stuff Mr. Horton fly's with in them Globals!)

Just to "nit-pick";

CAVU: clear and visibility unlimited...That would be "Ceiling and visibility unlimited".
GADAHRS: same as AHARS but with GPS and something else as part of the black box...
MAP: could be a chart or manifold air pressure...That would be "manifold absolute pressure".
MAG: could be a magneto or magnetometer

Words added to satisfy stupid rule!

I just had one...

Inspect and Repair As Necessary.

I like to see yellow tags. IRAN without that sometimes means a new coat of Krylon (tm).

....done on my turbine PT-6 in the Air Tractor. The gear reduction box and engine are going on 9,000 hours and this was the first gearbox IRAN.....aaaaand....it's going to cost near $50,000!:eek: A new gearbox runs north of $100K. The whole engine, new from Pratt @ Whitney goes for something north of $300K, so an IRAN of $25,000 is a great deal.

Best,

Have we got room for non-official definitions, such as TLAR (That Looks About Right)? That used to be used to refer to a open bomb-sight system for ground attack aircraft in WWII (I saw it in a Bob Stevens cartoon, no less) but I've heard it used in reference to building.