pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' guys. Yesterday I flew my stepson/Marine back to Camp LeJeune, N.C. and when I pressed the "Proc" button, to select the RNAV Rwy 23 approach, it was not available in the selection drop-down tab. I scrolled up down and would have gone sideways but I could not get the option for RNAV 23 to show at KOAJ.

Next time one of you guys boots up your 430 W, would you enter KOAJ and see if you can see the RNAV/LPV 23 approach? My data card expired in May and is more-than-likely the problem. New one's on the way.

A good reason to print a paper copy before departure on an IFR flight, even tho' it was CAVU yesterday.

TIA,

Pierre

I update ours every month, legally to fly an IFR approach we have to.

Be careful man!

Not that you will crash....just the FAA :eek:

Expired DB

The original plate was issued 31 may 2012. You nailed it, database issue.

Last edited:
Pierre, I fly in their often since my daughter lives nearby. I think that is a new approach. I only recall seeing it the first time in Aug.

George

Pierre, I fly in their often since my daughter lives nearby. I think that is a new approach. I only recall seeing it the first time in Aug.

George

Yeah, it occurred to me that new approaches are constantly being added and it may not have been in the May database. The lesson learned tho' was to do this availability check BEFORE you get in the air. I was on an IFR flight plan and cancelled before I needed the approach, then, in my mind, "What if" I needed that approach?

My iPad's Skychartspro has the approach but it would be a bugger to fly with it not available in the 430W.

Thanks guys,

Seems to me there was a post a while back about not all approaches being in the Garmin DB for some reason. Anybody remember that? At any rate, you are right, Pierre. Best to check before you go. I almost always print paper plates when taking a trip.
Also, I don't think you can legally execute an RNAV IAP unless it is in the DB, so the Skychartspro option would not even work.

Really?

Dave, the rwy 23 approach is also listed on Airnav as a current approach.

So, you're saying that it would be illegal to create a route with the listed intersections on the approach plate, into the 430 and then fly THAT approach? Correct? RAIM issues?

Thanks,

What David said :)

You wouldn't get proper scaling... you have to load it from DB to do the approach legally..

i believe it would get you on the ground safely if the waypoints were in the db, but in hot dudu with you know who if you had some 'issues' that day.

anyways, may to nov with no new db. find someone running 430w and get a month old card. :cool:
p3010180l.jpg

Above are correct. FAA rules require all fixes used for an approach to be retrievable from the unit's database. I think they are just worried that one mis-entered digit in the lat/long could be a disaster. And the database is supposed to be current.

These rules do not apply to enroute use. Enroute you may use an expired database as long as you verify that the lat/long's are still correct for all the fixes you use. (Who does that?).

Above are correct. FAA rules require all fixes used for an approach to be retrievable from the unit's database. I think they are just worried that one mis-entered digit in the lat/long could be a disaster. And the database is supposed to be current.

These rules do not apply to enroute use. Enroute you may use an expired database as long as you verify that the lat/long's are still correct for all the fixes you use. (Who does that?).

The waypoints could be in the DB even if the IAP is not listed, but if the approach procedure is not listed, as Radomir noted, you will not get the tighter scaling that occurs on a DB loaded RNAV approach. I agree with Turbo that a "homemade" approach where you manually put all of the waypoints of the IAP in your GPS, would most likely get you down safely.