Tanya

Well Known Member
Patron
http://aprs.fi/?call=n4822c&dt=1282348800&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=3600

Our weekend broke with Scott posing the question of what to do on Saturday. My answer, "Fly, of course." The conversation continued with, "do you have anything specific in mind?" A response to the negative elicited the suggestion of some instrument approach practice. We commenced with a good review of the weather, NOTAMs, and approach plates. We feel that part of a thorough practice session must include ATC, without the ability to cheat, so we filed an IFR flight plan: Departing GTU, Route of Flight TPL, Destination GTU, Remarks "multiple instrument approaches".

The airport had an audible hum of activity as we arrived. It appeared that a good part of the GTU RV contingent was headed to Giddings for BBQ. We had a different plan on how to burn our avgas on this day. One preflight and an IFR clearance later, we were airborne and headed for TPL. As soon as we were at a safe altitude, Scott assumed the position under the hood and confirmed I was fully engaged in my role as safety pilot.

k9xetw.jpg

A smooth flight at 5000 to TPL was interrupted by Gray approach control, "4822 Charlie, What is your request?" Scott responded, "We'd like vectors to the ILS 15 terminating with a missed approach." "What would you like after the missed approach?" "Another ILS approach with vectors." We received the usual missed approach instructions "22C, upon the missed, report back this frequency, fly heading 300, climb maintain 3000" to return for another round and Scott cruised through the approach and ended up right over the end of the runway. Good work, OK, time to do another. As Scott continued down the glideslope for the second time, we hatched the plan to swap roles on the climb out from the missed. Yep, once again, over the end of the runway in a position for a normal landing. As Scott climbed the question came "Ready to take control." "Yep, I have the airplane." "You have the airplane." OK, now it's my turn. Two more laps, and the heat started encroaching on the cockpit, so it was time for a clearance back to GTU. (Check out the four inbound courses, basically a single line, just as it should be.) As I was approaching the last FAF inbound, we still had not officially gotten our missed approach instructions from Gray approach for the direct GTU as previously agreed with them. I queried Gray Approach. "22C would like a missed clearance back to GTU after this approach." "22C, Gray Approach, upon completion of this approach, report back this frequency, climb maintain 4000', direct GTU." .... Good to go.

oab4fc.jpg

I turned toward home and requested a GPS approach. We were cruising along listening to traffic, including a jump plane climbing at a jump zone right along our course when we hear "Jumpers away." Gray approach asks "4822 Charlie, jumpers away at Saledo, would you like to continue direct AXWUB or vector around the jump box with a heading of 270?" That's an easy one, "4822C is turning to a heading of 270." That's also easy to pick out on the track. We have no desire to have a close encounter of the uncomfortable kind with a skydiver. Another turn and we are headed back to our initial approach fix but closing on it very quickly and running out of time. I gave Gray approach a nudge and asked for clearance for the approach, knowing full well they couldn't give it to me since it was Austin's airspace. I was promptly pushed to Austin, OK, mission accomplished. "Austin approach, 4822C at 4000 feet inbound AXWUB, with the weather. Am I cleared for the approach?" "4822C, maintain 3000 feet until established, cleared for the GPS approach runway 18 Georgetown." Well, that was a little messy and I was a but pushy, but again, mission accomplished.

ztsy6s.jpg

As I'm on a long final to 18 in Georgetown, I hear on the radio "Hello Cards" from a local spam can driver. I answered a quick 'howdy' back and said we were out training. It was clear and a million on a VFR day, cruising down an IFR approach, so it was pretty obvious what that training entailed. Just a few hours later, I get an email from said spam can driver looking for a safety pilot the following day. Perhaps we were the inspiration for that email.

Back on track and over the runway, I flaired and ended up wonky. No reason to bend the airplane after such a successful training flight, "Georgetown Tower, 4822C is going around." "4822 Charlie, make left or right traffic, your choice. "Georgetown Tower, 4822C will make left traffic and would like to cancel IFR to remain VFR in the pattern." "22C, IFR cancellation received, squawk 1200." There was no way I was doing a full missed procedure with another GPS approach as it was getting H-O-T. Try two was much better with a non-embarrassing touch down and it was time to find some ice cold water from the fridge in the hangar.

Conclusion: Avgas well consumed.

Nice write-up, Tanya....

...my turn comes as soon as this busy ag season slows. The -10 is sooooo sweet under IFR. Stable as a kitchen table.

Best,

I still find it super cool flying the precision approach with the EFIS. Just put the flight path marker on the end of the runway. If you keep it there, which becomes very easy to do, the needles just magically line up. This ease allows you to think about other stuff in these high workload moments.