rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am working on the brake lines. I converted a tail wheel to a nose wheel and have to install brake lines to the wheels. As I contort myself into a pretzel to get under the panel, I am wondering why I can't just run the lines along the floor along the bottom rail at the outside edge? It looks like a much easier run than trying to go through the center next to the fuel lines.

It would be two simple 90 bends - one at the front corner and one bend down out next to the gear. I tried searching for examples, but I couldn't find any pictures. Is there a reason people go through the center rather than the outside edge?

Thanks

Rv6 plans ran brake lines that way.

You have to satisfy yourself you won't damage them with your feet or anything
else on the floor.

If that is it, that's easy. A simple U piece of AL would cover and protect it very nice. With a little padding inside, it should save me a couple hours of massage and hot tub time. Humm.... maybe not a good idea!!

You have to satisfy yourself you won't damage them with your feet or anything
else on the floor.

I did exactly that. I am interstate at the moment, but fly home tomorrow, so if you can wait another 36 hours, I'll get my photos up. The only thing I've got running down the centre is the fuel line.

Mine are tucked under the bottom longeron on the sides, bend inwards slightly to clear it, then 90* to go vertical then 180* to attach to the brake fitting near the gear leg. A few pieces of plastic tube at strategic locations will stop abrasion.

If you want to trial it yourself, go and pinch 3/4 of your wife's wire coat hangers, the thick wire ones, and use them as your template to get the curves and bends right.

Rob - that is great. I would love to see the pictures. 36 hours is fine - it isn't like that is the last thing I have to do! I figured at the least I could get a piece of u chancel and rivet it through the floor to protect the line. I will try and see if I can fit them under the longerons. It looked tight, but it is a pretty small line.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing your photos.

Another one for the "under the longeron" placement.

I slipped lengths of PVC tubing over the brake line and that seems to hold the lines nicely and firmly in place.

"...Mine are tucked under the bottom longeron on the sides, bend inwards slightly to clear it, then 90* to go vertical then 180* to attach to the brake fitting near the gear leg. A few pieces of plastic tube at strategic locations will stop abrasion..."

I used a 90 angle fitting at the base of the gear leg so I only needed a 90 degree bend, not a 180 as mentioned above. Otherwise the same as KRviator

Last edited:
I'm sure you can do it. I stuck with the plans. The brake lines are much easier to install and bend than the fuel lines. If you decide you don't want to route them down the center tunnel, then you will need to at least jump across the center tunnel for the right brake line, unless you make both lines go down the left side, then take the right one over in front of the spar and to the gear leg. I'm not sure there is enough room under the lower longeron to get both lines sufficiently tucked underneath.

No problem.... across the bottom of firewall for the right side and held on the side with adel clamps. They have never been in the way. Normal for 6A's

I chose to run the left brake line along the left wall. You have to make an upside down "U" in order to connect to the floor fitting at the gear leg. There is no such thing as a bulkhead fitting with a 45 on one end and a 90 on the other.

In regards to the right hand line, the different routes have been stated but for convenience are:

Down the tunnel per plans.
Across the firewall and along the right wall
Straight back under the pilots feet and then right along the spar.

There is no "best" way. It depends on your individual situation. For me, the right answer was straight back and then along the spar. My tunnel entryways are a bit crowded with wiring so I did not want to go that way. With ceramic fiber floor insulation and Kevlar/Divinycell floorboards, the line is well protected from my feet.

Thanks guys. I will be working on them today and see what I come up with. My plan is to have flex lines made up to go from the exit point in the floor down the gear leg to the brakes. My wheel pants will need to be off quite a bit in the winter and I want it to be easier to remove and re-install.

Thanks for the info. I hope to see some of you at SNF.

Actually ...

...I wish I had thought of that. Running them down the tunnel and all the contortions to make the FW connections were a a royal PITA. Glad I don't have to do it again. :)

As my -9A is going to be flown PIC from the right hand seat, here's how the brake lines interface with the fuel pump and lines. I reversed the two fittings as it seemed better than having the 45* fitting on the left.
8599062356_a79ff56091.jpg

If you don't use a 90* fitting, here's the bends you'll need to meet up with the gear-leg fitting.
8599061486_d00f5650f0.jpg

Crossing in front of the passenger's rudder pedals. As the brake line now has tosit alittle higher than I had originally planned, I won't need that little joggle above the stiffener -which I have to remake anyway as there was the slightest kink in it, dammit. Two 90* turns then astraight run to the longeron and then a90* turn to go aft would be sufficient.
8597961643_e35ca5d1bd.jpg

Your pictures are a big help. I will be finishing my brake lines this evening and I did it almost the same way. With mine being on the left, it is just reversed. Thanks again. I think this route is a good modification and keeps the center more open.

Some more pics

The end fitting to the gear leg. I plan on a flex hose down the gear leg.

brake-tube-1_zps13f3ab0c.jpg

The forward end of the "under the longeron" bit.

brake-tube-2_zpse0122e2f.jpg

A bracket held by the vent tube fitting will act as a support for the hanging Adel clamp.

I used fairly loose 5/16 ID vinyl tubing and used a short length of clear heat shring to secure the ends in place.

The tubing is 5052-0 which I find is actually a little easier to work with than the much softer Vans tubing.

Gil, those are great. I did just about the same path and Im going to use a flex line down the leg too. I made an AL line to the brakes yesterday and it isn't as difficult to get the wheel pant on and off as I thought it would be, but I still think I will get the flex lines.

I couldn't find any clear line to cover the AL under the longrons, but I did find that one of my air supply hose fit perfectly. I didn't think about heat shrink to hold it in place. That is a great idea. I plan to just put a dab of epoxy next time I mix some up.

I like how you fit a 90 at the exit point. I did the u turn like Rob did. I am still not happy with how my line crosses the firewall to the right brake. It works, it just doesn't look real neat. I will probably try that one again. Do you have a pic of how you went across the firewall?

One other problem I have is bending the fuel hose that sticks out of the fuselage to the wing. I have a red cloth taped to it so I see it, but somehow I keep bumping into it and bending it. I am getting pretty good at replacing it and can cut, flute, and install one side in about 10 minutes. One more time and I switch to a flex line there too!

Thanks. I hope you are going to be at SNF. I would like to meet you. I have gotten so many good ideas from your posts, I want to see the real Gil!

..... I will probably try that one again. Do you have a pic of how you went across the firewall?
Thanks. I hope you are going to be at SNF. I would like to meet you. I have gotten so many good ideas from your posts, I want to see the real Gil!

My firewall is different than yours being a -6A. I also have a parking brake actuator on the left side of the firewall near the top longeron. The two brake lines start out from this actuator.

I initially though I did not need the parking brake, but after trying to fuel my Tiger solo at Mojave airport in a 30 kt. wind I changed my mind...:)

I did use the -7 (and -9) heat box assembly and a battery mounted on the front of the firewall. The brake line for the right side crosses over just under the heat box sealed portion that has the vents in it. I cut some slots in the heat box sides and used grommets on the brake line.

Not sure when I'll be in the CO area, but if you are in AZ....

Dont you just love experimentals! With so many different options for routing lines, it makes your plane unique.
Tom