ron sterba

Well Known Member
I'am building a 9A. I usually go to school on every aspect of building. Always asking questions until I get to the end of my brain flow chart. I noticed that FAiring etc advertises on Vans airforce for fairings. Can somebody tell me the benifits of the FAIRINGS-ETC.com over the Van's factory ones. Why do you like them? Appearance? Fit? Workable? or Less work to finish?
Thanks
Ron in Oregon

Could it be that you don't have to hack them apart and re-glass to fit? I have had to do that on 2 of Van's tail fairings...Just sayin'....

tail fairings

Hmmmm, My tail faring from Van's fit great! Very little adjusting needed. No cutting apart, no glassing anything new, just a little filler to make it match the skins really tight. I can't understand what you guys are going through.

emp fairing good

no issues here with Van's fairings.

the problem is I just don't like fiberglass:D

but everything fit pretty good.

Dave
-9A flying

My experience is different. I have two (thanks Mark) and none fits as desired. Now I am in a stubbornness competition will see who wins - fairing or I :D.

I honestly think the fairings on the 6's were worse.

Some people had a lot of trouble. Some just offset their fin to try to 'pre-trim' the aircraft. Others, like me, built it to the plans and had the fairing fit right out of the box. On the other hand, I am still swearing at the gear intersection fairings and wish the latest vendor had started up several years ago. Nothing wrong with aftermarket parts to tweak the fit, in my opinion.

Hi Jamie. You said intersection fairings. Are these on the wing root or gear. Did you use Vans for one and Fairing etc for the wing and gear? Why did you like Fairings etc?
Ron in Oregon

I found the best thing about the Fairings Etc parts is that their upper intersection fairing aligns Vans gear leg fairing which then aligns the FE lower int fairing to Vans wheel pant.
There is no rotational adjustment to the upper int fairing. Only fore-aft.
No jacking the plane. No strings. No measuring to a chalk line.