agirard7a

Well Known Member
Converting my 9a to a 9. Any thoughts on what
To do with the steps? Should I remove and patch
The holes or cut them down and reweld. I would prefer to remove
For windage reasons but don't know the best way to cover the holes.

Search for it

Google: site:vansairforce.com step hole patch

Should take you about 2 minutes.

Converting my 9a to a 9. Any thoughts on what
To do with the steps? Should I remove and patch
The holes or cut them down and reweld. I would prefer to remove
For windage reasons but don't know the best way to cover the holes.

How old are you and how old are your passengers? Pretty much all non-athletic 50+ YO passengers struggle getting in and out, IMO.

Converting a 7a to 7 and leaving them hang out because at least one of us fall into that aforementioned "non-athletic, over 50" category.

Steps

Al: My 9A rebuild project will be a 9 when done. I removed the steps, shortened them 4.5" and put 3 ounces of lead shot in each one. Instead of riveting them back on I put nutplates on backing plates so they are removable. Also made cover plates with same hole pattern so I have options. Wife and I are not in the tall group.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

steps

My kit was RV6a when I purchased from another builder with steps installed I converted it to a taildrager .Put the same ? as you on VAF and Sam the moderator said just cut 4.5" off and reweld I think I ended up cutting off 5" glad I did I don't think it slowed me down any and there already there if I need them.
Bob

Al: My 9A rebuild project will be a 9 when done. I removed the steps, shortened them 4.5" and put 3 ounces of lead shot in each one. Instead of riveting them back on I put nutplates on backing plates so they are removable. Also made cover plates with same hole pattern so I have options. Wife and I are not in the tall group.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

I am doing the same with the lead in the steps, Allen did a test and confirmed that there was prop wash on these things. let us know how it turns out!

Left mine on and glad I did. Much easier to get in/out and doesn't affect speed. Had mine rewelded long ago when they started to crack.

Greg

Left mine on and glad I did. Much easier to get in/out and doesn't affect speed. Had mine rewelded long ago when they started to crack.

Presume the lead shot changes the resonance characteristics?

Greg

Left mine on also and glad I did for the over 60 athelite. Just remover the co pilot side and repaired welded with gusset and reinstalled. After 480 hours it broke on the BACK side like everyone else.

I kept mine on the 7. I filled them with sand to possibly keep them from cracking from harmonic vibrations. I painted my plane before doing my weight and balance. I have a IO360 with CS Hartzell and still my empty W and B arm is 81.25! I cannot perform aerobatics with another normal size adult, that means no duel aerobatics instruction....My first modifications will be to reduce weight aft of CG. I do not know what the steps weigh but I wish I had left them off! I rarely use them because every time I start to, I think of all them posts on VAF about cracked steps!:mad: Since your plane is a 9, you prob need more aft weight so I would keep them if W&B is not an issue.

Last edited:
I kept mine on the 7. I filled them with sand to possibly keep them from cracking from harmonic vibrations. I painted my plane before doing my weight and balance. I have a IO360 with CS Hartzell and still my empty W and B arm is 81.25! I cannot perform aerobatics with another normal size adult, that means no duel aerobatics instruction....My first modifications will be to reduce weight aft of CG. I do not know what the steps weigh but I wish I had left them off! I rarely use them because every time I start to, I think of all them posts on VAF about cracked steps!:mad: Since your plane is a 9, you prob need more aft weight so I would keep them if W&B is not an issue.

The steps are very light, maybe one pound?

My -9 started life as a tail dragger and has never had the steps installed and I don't miss them. However, if I was doing a conversation, as you are, I would leave them in (after checking for cracks).

Steps

I would love to know what the steps weigh! My project had them installed when I bought it. Can someone who hasn't installed them yet weigh them and let me know?

Mine are not installed at the moment. I will weigh and post in next couple days.

Ok. What am I missing? What's up with the lead shot?

Lead or sand should reduce step cracking if there is an issue with harmonics. A shorter vertical tube can't hurt either. Just me but I think the stocks steps look too long on the tailwheel planes.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress