Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
Having purchased a completed 9A and after searching this site, I am still confused as to what the "proper" air pressure is for nose and mains. Although I have the latest nose gear upgrades I still want to minimize potential problems. I will abide by max nose gear weights as specified by Vans.

Any comments on tire pressures are appreiated.

Thanks, Ken

35 psi for all three.
You may be just as confused after you get everyone's advise.

Last edited:
Ken,

I think it is somewhat personal preference, as long as you have enough pressure to keep the rim and wheel pants off the ground. If you've read through the archives, you know that there are lots of opinions. I think a higher pressure in the nose will help minimize any of the "nosewheel catching a hole" problems (better rolling ability), but certainly won't eliminate them.

greg

Hi Ken,

I run my 9a close to Walt's numbers-40 in the nose and 35 in the mains.

Cheers,

db

Ken,

as long as you have enough pressure to keep the rim and wheel pants off the ground. greg

Strongly disagree with the above.

Low pressure in Tube tires = tube distress = Flats

Probably the Worst advice I was ever given as a kid back in my motorcyle days was "run em low" for better traction and to help prevent typical center tread wear. After a number of flats that almost killed me, I figured out the low pressure was causing the flats, raised the pressure and no more problems.

Last edited:
9A Nosewheel

I have found that when my nose pressure gets down to 30 or 32 it starts to shimmy more. But keeping it at or near 35 psi solves the issue. Haven't tried the 40 to 50 psi , but may give a try.

The book says front=35 and mains=25. That's what we run and seems to work fine...
Having purchased a completed 9A and after searching this site, I am still confused as to what the "proper" air pressure is for nose and mains. ... Any comments on tire pressures are appreiated.
Thanks, Ken

Strongly disagree with the above.
Low pressure in Tube tires = tube distress = Flats
Probably the Worst advise I was ever given as a kid back in my motorcycle days was "run em low" for better traction ...
Works great in a JEEP, but not on a bike with tubes ... and we're talking airplanes here not JEEPs....

Thank guys. I am going with 40 in the nose and 35 in the mains. I appreciate the inputs.

Ken
N63EB
O-360/200
Glendale, AZ and Sunriver, OR

nosegear pressure - at what temp?

...one more thing Ken.....if you live where it can be near freezing at nite, then get pretty hot during the day, you might want to think about the tire pressure at the lowest temp you plan to operate at. (These tiny go-kart tires don't have much air volume to moderate over much of a temp range!)

Point # 2, with an 0-360 and C/S or other FWF weight, I'd seriously look at the bigger tire mod; it would sure help me sleep at nite.

Tire pressure confusing

It seems to me that there would be recommendations from Van's on tire pressures but I've never found any. I have a 6A and I keep 45 in both the main gear and nose tire. I have 'so called leak proof tubes' but that's a joke, they still leak. My feeling is that starting high I'll always be in good shape for pressure. Been doing this for 7 years, with no problems.

I searched under "big tire option" and only fownd where people talked about exchanging the 4" tire/wheel with a 5" but found noting concrete. Where should I look?

My previous aircraft wfas a GlaStar which had the same 4" wheel andtire combo. Several changed to 5" tire which required a new/modified fork assembly.

Thanks, Ken

A lot of builders find less than 35lbs in the nose causes a shimmy, I use 40lbs in the nose and that works well for me and provides good even tire wear.

On the mains I carry 45lbs as this still offers a good ride while in taxi mode and also provides a good even tire wear pattern. I tried 35lbs-40lbs with the first set of tires, wore the outside tread right off the tire. :)

after a flat on the nose and having the stem pulled out with 35psi, now at 50psi and no problems after another 300hrs. about 40 on the mains.