ron sterba

Well Known Member
Ok should I be Scared? Maybe the holes not drilled right on this 9A. Read and re-read VANS frame of mind on the build. Any suggestions in a orderly manner or website to BOOST my confidence! I'll keep you'ull up dated.
Ron in Oregon

I spent all day yesterday doing this. Couple of photos on my web page. The HS goes on easy. Just make sure you drill down through the center of all of the longerons and angles hidden under the aft deck. Everything leveled up fine. Fitting the VS was a bit more challenging. Lots of fine tuning to get it straight. Had to take off the elevators to be able to drill the rear spar of the VS to the rear bulkhead.
Setting the neutral position of the elevators was not fun. Very limited access to get the required washers in there. I need some washer wrenches!

Thanks Bruce! Whole lot! I'am re-reading and checking prints and parts. I guess the best way to describe my thoughts on the idea of the installation is having one eye closed and the other not quite focused on a object. Its not all clear yet but with your pictures my friend its now in focus. Thanks and enjoy your build. feel free to call on my project. My EAA tech said I can move on to the engine mount after the tail feathers go on. That should be in a week or so. Also working on the panel layout. Dynon 10" skyview and AVEO switches. Take care Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Measure twice cut once

Take your time... be patient. Get an extra set of hands to help with measuring, clamping, holding, checking. It's not as complicated as it is tedious. Drilling the VS rear spar holes takes careful attention to details.

Have patience (as always)

The HS was a snap. The VS was a little tedious getting precisely vertical. The forward spar connection of the VS took a while to figure out. Looking back it was not that big of a deal.

You think you are done once the VS & HS are all bolted on but that fiberglass fairing over the top took a whole lot of trimming and fitting.

Jim
RV9A
finish kit
no engine yet....looking for a good used o320 for fixed pitch

drilling guide

Use some type of a guide to ensure your drill bit is perpendicular to the surface. I found it especially hard to tell whether the bit was vertical when drilling the inboard holes on the front spar of the HS (using right angle drill).