Tbutler

Hello All,
Been referencing this site for a while now, but have never posted until now.

My fianc? and I are first-time builders working on a 9A. Recently got started on the slow-build wings, and need a little help with the pitot tube installation. Our plan is for the dynon skyview, so we have a heated dynon pitot tube on the way. I'm planning to order the safeair1 pitot mast today (or possibly the gretz). I know that the gretz mast is removable, but what situation would you want to remove it? If the pitot tube itself went bad (heating element?), seems like you would just unscrew the pitot from the mast for replacement.

My main question here is- is there any reason that we shouldn't mount the dynon pitot in the location of the stock pitot that vans specifies per the plans? Prop wash? Theres a lot of discussion on here about tie-down clearance, but seems like inboard of the tie down ring would be OK, since ropes will be going outboard to ramp tie down spots. Also, I dont see any reason to run any more wiring or tubing than necessary past the aileron bellcrank..

I'm just wondering if everyone mounts theirs outboard because everyone mounts theirs outboard....

Any advice will be much appreciated.

-Travis

The Dynon or Garmin pitot tube in a safair mast in the stock location on an RV-9A is fine. In fact I can't think of a better installation.

not the offical greeter...but...

sorry Travis, but I was unable to read past the......

My fianc? and I are first-time builders working on a 9A.

you are ONE lucky guy! some of use never got to do either....or were really bad at one, which has this strange effect on the other. I don't know if there is a surefire cure for A.I.D.S.....but I think you are on the right track! ;-)

( you'll have to search a bit on here to find the definition!):rolleyes:

Have fun, and remember, it's all good fun until someone get their finger drilled by the partner. Ask me how I know. And we are still married and flying the same airplane! :)

Jim

Travis,

I have a 9A with a Dynon pitot but it is mounted outboard of Van's suggested location. I just followed the Safe Air instructions. I installed my OAT probe in the original hole I made for the Van's pitot.

Steve

sorry Travis, but I was unable to read past the......

My fianc? and I are first-time builders working on a 9A.

you are ONE lucky guy! some of use never got to do either....or were really bad at one, which has this strange effect on the other. I don't know if there is a surefire cure for A.I.D.S.....but I think you are on the right track! ;-)

( you'll have to search a bit on here to find the definition!):rolleyes:

I'm definitely lucky- she's the one that keeps my head together when I get too overwhelmed about what it is exactly we're doing- BUILDING AN AIRPLANE?!?!

But seriously, thanks for the replies and insight into this I'm guessing very simple (and already highly-discussed) topic.

Now that the ice is broken, we'll try to be more regular on here :)

-Travis

I also used the Safeair install location. You will run out of room and interfere with your bellcrank setup. Vans Pitot - use the Vans location. Dynon / Gretz mast - use the Safeair location.