Mark C.

Well Known Member
Working on the fuel system not very happy working with the 3/8 alum. tubing and running it through the gear leg assem. Has anyone used "Bonaco" stainless hose assem. for this appl.?? Thanks, Mark C. 119RV

You mean like this? It's been changed up slightly since the photo was taken, but that's the basic idea. Not flying yet but getting closer.

1000261o.jpg

Last edited:
Why not make life easy on yourself and put a 90* bulkhead fitting in the side of the fuselage and a straight one in the support for fuel valve like these?
AN833C_1.jpg
AN832C_1.jpg

Then you can make small line to connect to your fuel valve. This works out great if you are going to use Van's valve but think you might swap it out later.

Your main fuel line will be "L" shaped and you shouldn't have to replace your fuel lines later as is recommended with flexible lines.

Last edited:
Greg, how does the fuel valve fit into your system as shown? Mark C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used two of the Bonaco hoses that run directly from the tank through the rubber grommet on the fuselage to the fuel selector valve. I'm using the Andair valve (and in a funny position) but the principle is the same. I prefer the flex lines because 1) they're easy to install and 2) they seem much more robust than the Al lines. I worried about the Al work-hardening and cracking. The Bonaco lines are teflon-lined and have tygon (plastic) over the exterior of the lines for chafe protection, so the steel jacket doesn't rub on anything. Well worth $30 each.

Bill, I would think that having a bulkhead fitting in the fuselage would require a very short section of tubing from the tank to the bulkhead and would be difficult to get it the right length and installed correctly. Plus if there is any flex between the tank and the fuselage, it would be a recipe for stress cracking. Maybe if it was a loop rather than a straight run it would be easy and not stressed?

greg

Mark,

You'll have to work a bit to get them through the rubber grommets in the side of the fuselage. Put the line through the grommet first, then put the grommet into the fuselage hole (only overlaps one layer of skin). Using a flat screwdriver helps with getting the grommet properly seated on the skin.

cheers,
greg

Mark,

You'll have to work a bit to get them through the rubber grommets in the side of the fuselage. Put the line through the grommet first, then put the grommet into the fuselage hole (only overlaps one layer of skin). Using a flat screwdriver helps with getting the grommet properly seated on the skin.

cheers,
greg

And you'll likely find that the hole size in the aluminum bulkhead needs to be small enough (to fit the grommet) that it won't allow you to pass the connector of the flex hose through. If you'll look closely at my pictures you can see, what I did was to increase the hole size until I reached a compromise I has happy with (small enough to keep a firm grip on the grommet, large enough to deal with the hose end) and then still ended up polishing a few thousandths of material off the apex of all six of the flats on the hose end to pass it through the hole in the bulkhead. Then slip on the grommet and push the grommet into place in the bulkhead hole.