mike109g6

Well Known Member
wings and flaps mounted on fuse. Right inboard flap gap seal sits snuggly against fuse-beautiful. Left inboard flap gap seal hangs about 1 1/4 inches below fuse belly skin. Talked to Van's-said that this sometimes happens and to just bend the left flap flange up till it kisses the belly skin or to just leave it-no adverse effect on flying. Rechecked everything multiple times before and after setting incidence on trailing edge spar, straightness of flap, etc. everything is to spec. Anyone else run across this problem and if so is there a fix other than Van's? thx, Mike H 9A

Same here

Van's told me the same thing - If you try to match the flaps to the fuse, the plane will fly crooked :rolleyes:. Ask me how I know.......

No one but you will notice the flap to fuse alignment once the plane is flying. If some one crawls under the plane to check this at a fly-in, I find an accidental kick in the ribs will "correct" this behavior.;)

wings and flaps mounted on fuse. Right inboard flap gap seal sits snuggly against fuse-beautiful. Left inboard flap gap seal hangs about 1 1/4 inches below fuse belly skin. Talked to Van's-said that this sometimes happens and to just bend the left flap flange up till it kisses the belly skin or to just leave it-no adverse effect on flying. Rechecked everything multiple times before and after setting incidence on trailing edge spar, straightness of flap, etc. everything is to spec. Anyone else run across this problem and if so is there a fix other than Van's? thx, Mike H 9A
Mike-
Where is your flap trailing edge relative to the fuselage? If it is also low I would suspect that the cause is a twisted flap, which is very easy to do across 8' of flap. I have about 3/8" of twist in one flap causing a similar problem but in the other direction (flap is 3/8" low relative to neutral aileron). Still debating whether I'm going to try to fix it, ignore it, or build a new flap.

Mike
Mine were off same as yours, tight to the belly on the right and 1" lower on the left. I called Vans and they said bend it up or just cut it off. I am going to trim mine off, they said no adverse effects on flying. The wing incidence is more important.
Oldgeezer
9A

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know that I didn't kiss the pooch. Nice to know that you're not alone, even if you are building alone. Thx, Mike H