Thanks - yes good news

This will help in the price justification also for some. Glad they did it.

John Bender

2,500 hours will be next in 5 years. I knew of one in Florida that has 2,500+ hours, and there are Rotax 912(S) in Europe that have 4,000+ hours on them, and they are still running strong. Of course it might be metric time. ;)

Last edited:
I read the bulletin....to take advantage of the 2000 TBO it recommends certain things for different serial numbers. For instance, serial numbers just before mine need a new crankcase. Mine needs a new oil plug etc. Guess we'll see what's going on in about 10/15 years when I probably won't care.

I read the bulletin....to take advantage of the 2000 TBO it recommends certain things for different serial numbers. For instance, serial numbers just before mine need a new crankcase. Mine needs a new oil plug etc. Guess we'll see what's going on in about 10/15 years when I probably won't care.

Ah, and one other really important thing is the time extension to 15 years. In my experience with rotax engines, they tend to time out or corrode away long before they actually wear out from normal use, even when you exceed the TBO hours....
So I've always thought of rotax TBO in years rather than hours.....

15 years as well as the hours does dilute the cost quite a bit. It's back in the good deal range now, IMO....

Unfortunately, mine doesn't qualify because of the crankcase requirements... oh well, I still have another 4 or 5 years (and 1200 hours) left to go ;)

LS

Last edited:
15 years?

15-years? Darn, I'll be 94 then, and my game plane is to fly the RV-12 on my 100th birthday. I have to figure out some way of squeezing 6 more years out of that engine. hmmmm....

John at Salida, CO

Looks like this is an easy change for all recent 912ULS engines. Plug in the oil pressure regulator is all that would be needed for most engines. Crankcase mods are for older engines only.

Good news indeed. IIRC, the original TBO on the 80Hp 912A was 1,200 hr.

TODR

Now Rotax just has to make the oil pressure regulator parts available. At this ppint I don't think they are but there is probably no hurry for most of us.