hydroguy2

Well Known Member
HELP! my canopy is stuck shut. Shut the canopy then pushed plane across ramp to a free hangar. Must have got bounced around or something. Anyway anyone else have luck getting one stuck and reopened.

I may have to drill the plexi :eek::eek::eek:

Shoulda built a slider:mad:. Brian,what is holding it down? Did the side latch mechanism come apart? Pictures? Don

My worst nightmare

And why I did an external knob.

My canopy is not as tight down low, a strategically bent slim jim inserted down low, carry it up?

drilling with a capplug may be completely not-noticable long term.

Rick 90432

This happened to me last Sunday at SEZ. Was able to raise the canopy about 1/4 of an inch and used a coat hanger to pull the handle around. It had us worried for sure. Working on a back up as we speak. :) Larry

Spring?

Won't help you get it open but I've seen one with a short bearing block and a spring that pulls the handle up an 1/8th or 1/4 inch. To latch you have to pull down against the spring and turn. The spring keeps it from accidentally latching and also keeps some tension on it while it is latched. It's on my list of future mods :)

Oops - Just noticed the pics up thread. Still a good idea though.

Have you tried a strong magnet to move the handle? Or a thin wire coat hanger? Or a thin plastic shim snaked through the gap and moved side ways?

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Tip-up

Last edited:
Not too clear

What I read to have happened is you shut and latched your canopy and now can not reopen the side latch--the WD617 canopy latch seems to be stuck on the WD622 canopy latch lug. That has worried me a couple times, both being inside and outside the plane. Long range fix is work at smoothing and shaping the canopy latch fingers so they will not catch on the latch lug. This problem seems to be worse if the lugs are adjusted to pull the canopy down too tight. It is a fine line to keep my seal from leaking air and yet not be too tight and cause difficulty opening. Sitting in the sunshine may also cause something to expand and tighten the adjustment. Right now, try pushing down on the canopy sides (both) near the latch lugs to create a clearance while working the latch handle. Hope that helps.

This happened to me once.

I pushed down on the plexi to take the tension of the latch..the thumped the plexi up by the handle with my clenched fist and then immediately released pressure on the plexi..Kept doing this rapidly for a few mintues and the latch vibrated just enough and it popped open.

Frank

Maybe try opening it late tonight when it is a bit cooler outside, less expansion from the heat.

Could it be that Bob Axsom's gremlins are at work so he will be able to beat you after all in the race this weekend? Surely not... ;)

Brian,
What a predicament!:mad: I am making an assumption that it is the rotating latch at the top that is stuck?
Is it possible to fish a long stiff wire through the slot where that side latch is, and catch the handle on the upper latch?? I am heading to the airport now and will look at a friend's T/U to see if there is anything else that jumps out at me.
Good luck!

Yikes!

I know it does not help now but I set mine up with a significant amount of drag to make sure that it would not move without intended effort... Also, I typically close it with the latch on top of the window and the canopy cracked open. Only fully close it when putting the cover on.

Good luck, from the responses I would try the bang and wiggle vibrate method for a while...

Don't Drill!

I had the same thing happen several years ago. One of my friends came over with drill in hand to "help". I ended up using a hardened hinge wire with multiple bends. IIRC, it took me over two hours to get it in a position to catch the latch. Glad I didn't let him get at my top.
Good Luck
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Happened to a friend several years ago at the winter RV flyin at Lakeland. He managed to snake a long wire in through the fresh air vent & pull (or push; don't remember which) the latch to release it.

Got it! Steel coat hanger 20 minutes

More later

And happy Birthday to you Brian!

Good to hear you got it open!

BTW, Tad Sargent suggested I put a tab with a small magnet epoxied to it next to the handle just to hold it open. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Last edited:
Canopy handle

Glad to hear you got it open.

I added a handle to the outside also,

dsc0019uz.jpg

Gary
N715AB
7A .. 950+ hours

I helped a friend get his tipper open when the top latch rotated just enough to stubbornly catch solid. No amount of tapping, pounding or trying to wedge something under the plexi had worked for him. I walked over to his plane, popped open the side latch lever, inserted a piece of #9 wire with a hook bent on the end through the lever's slot and had it open in just a few minutes. I think it took two tries to hook the top handle. It took longer to find the piece of stiff wire than to open the lid.

After this experience I used a pop rivet inserted in the canopy frame "roll bar" to limit my handle where it will only rotate in one direction and I made sure it takes some force to turn it.

I helped a friend get his tipper open when the top latch rotated just enough to stubbornly catch solid. No amount of tapping, pounding or trying to wedge something under the plexi had worked for him. I walked over to his plane, popped open the side latch lever, inserted a piece of #9 wire with a hook bent on the end through the lever's slot and had it open in just a few minutes. I think it took two tries to hook the top handle. It took longer to find the piece of stiff wire than to open the lid.

After this experience I used a pop rivet inserted in the canopy frame "roll bar" to limit my handle where it will only rotate in one direction and I made sure it takes some force to turn it.

Brian,
Glad it all worked out without resorting to drilling!

Joe, I was glad to hear that idea posted on pg 2 was not as odd as it sounded!

I'll post a story with pics when I get home. But I used the coat hanger fed through the external latch slot. Took a while but got it to rotate abit, then went to the other side and snaked it under the skirt. Hooked the handle again, vibration with pressure and Presto!