Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
I noticed $3.43/gal for 91 ethanol free at a station in Lake Oswego, OR yesterday. What's the rest of the country looking like?

Just curious,

Jerry

I haven't been to town in a week but a local Sunoco here in Brighton MI carries 90 octane "recreation vehicle" ethanol free that I regularly use in my RV-10 for $2.98 a gallon.

I heard the 76 at the North Wilsonville exit on I-5 has ethanol free 92. I have not checked though. I keep reading that Lycoming requires 93AKI so are guys using Mogas with lesser octane ratings with good results?

I heard the 76 at the North Wilsonville exit on I-5 has ethanol free 92. I have not checked though. I keep reading that Lycoming requires 93AKI so are guys using Mogas with lesser octane ratings with good results?

$2.79 (but probably going up soon) for non-contaminated 93 pump gas at our local Wally Worlds.

The carbed O-320 seems to love the stuff. :)

$2.76 for 93 w/o ethanol. Phillips 66. It is higher than other w/eoth fuels in the area.

Wish we could get 93 in the Northwest. Did a search online and it doesn't show any stations that have it in WA or OR. Looks like it is readily available in the mid-west and south.

Twin Cities 91UL No EtOH

We are paying $2.45, but with $0.07 coupon, 4% CC rebate and $0.235/gal state tax rebate, it is more like $2.05......

Like Sam said - a carbed O-320 seems to like it just fine.

$2.29 non-ethanol 92 at the Farm store here. I haven't tried in my 9:1 motor, but some of the Cessna guys haul it.

K34 - Gardner, KS - 91 alcohol free - $3.25

K34 - Gardner, Kansas now have changed out the 87 fuel for 91 alcohol free and the price is currently $3.25 gallon.

Ray Doerr
N519RV (RV-10)

I just I wish we had ethanol free, or that I could convince myself that the fuel pump does not care about ethanol.

Stop wishing

I just I wish we had ethanol free, or that I could convince myself that the fuel pump does not care about ethanol.

In this part of the country we use ethanol mogas 91Octane E10
Last price for me was $2.35 at the local ARCO.
All of us have mechanical fuel pumps plus one boost pump.
The Vanguard Squadron has used ethanol fuel for more than 15 years
and not changed their mechanical fuel pumps. They have not reported any problems and neither am I.
If you are still worried after reading their reports you should probably stay with avgas.

Like many of us you can keep 100LL in one tank just so you can purge the system before shut down and have the airplane sit around in ethanol free avgas.

Can you guys tell me what compression ratios you are using to run the 90-93 auto fuel? I have an o320-d1a 8.5:1 and have been curious about mogas.

90 octane plus alcohol free

Greenfield/Indianapolis,Indiana

Land-Mark co-op: 90 Plus is actually 91 octane. Last 50 gallons paid $2.75/gallon.
Runs fine in my o-360 A4A, carbureted, 8.5 to one C/R. Cannot tell any difference between this and 100LL which I use by default when away from home. The mix ends up being about 25% to 35% 100LL to MoGas.

I keep reading that Lycoming requires 93AKI so are guys using Mogas with lesser octane ratings with good results?

It depends on the engine and primarily the compression ratio. I burn non-ethanol 90 octane (usually mixed with 100LL but not always) in my Cherokee 140 with the Peterson STCs applied. All you get with the STC are two stickers for each tank and a metal band to attach to the engine. One STC for the airframe, one for the engine.

As others have said, I can't tell the difference between the two.

The STC advises that there will be an increased chance of carb icing and vapor locking. However, they go to great lengths in testing to try to get the engine to vapor-lock and the FAA apparently will not approve the STC if the engine experiences it during testing.

Also, the minimum octane for my Cherokee, according to the STC, is 87 octane.

We don't have 93 or 91. We have lots of 89 zero-e. It's still at the highest end of the prices above but considerable lower than the 100LL we have locally.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
91 Octane...

Ethanol free @ $3.29/gal Pure station in downtown Winder. I add 2 oz. Marvel Mystery Oil /5 gallons to keep the Lycoming O-290G valve guides happy. We have a number of pilots here who do the same with no complaints. Std. comp. of 8.5/1 on the Mockingbird.

Can't get it in MD, at least on the part connected to DC and points west. On the eastern shore (Delaware side) you can get it all day long because the sport fishermen need it, if they're not running diesels.

$3.59 here in s florida. don't forget that u can test any hitest gas and many don't have any ethanol in it. also a splash of 100LL will perk up rec 90 to higher levels. :cool:

Wow Vlad! We never got "under 2 bucks" for anything other than beer ... and who would want to drink a "two buck beer"!

Wow Vlad! We never got "under 2 bucks" for anything other than beer ... and who would want to drink a "two buck beer"!

Bought 10 gallons today for cash $1.96 per gallon. The corn syrup lace doesn't stink when it's freezing outside. No problem with water either alcohol absorbs it. Now back to the topic of pure 91 :D