Jimd

Well Known Member
I have a TMX O-360 with a 90 degree oil filter adapter. The filter on it is a Champion 48108-1. Should this dumb thing drain back into the case so I dont have to clean up a big mess every time I change oil? Is there another filter that will draing back better? Do I want it to hold oil all the time just so it is full at start-up?

If I punch a hole in the top will that help it drain?

I let it set for about an hour or so before I spun it off and I still got oil puking out of it, UUUGGGGhhhh...

Hi Jim,

There are a number of threads on this in the past...search for "oil filter mess" ;) (or something like that....or maybe "$#*&^@%")

The short answer from someone who has the same engine/oil filter is "no", the filter doesn't drain back into the case - there is a check valve of sorts that leaves oil in the filter. My solution is a strategically placed rag and gallon-sized zip-loc bag beneath the filter, but you can also build a long thin ramp to catch the oil and drain it off to the side of the engine. I find that the rag and bag, with a quick "flip" of the filter to the upright position, works ok. Not perect, but I have yet to spill more than a few drips, and have never bathed the accessory case in oil.

You can let it drain as long as you want - oil is staying in the filter - and poking a hole just drains all the oil out the bottom of the filter once you flip it (don't ask how I know...)

For all those about to reply that they have no problem with this....I am talking specifically about the angle adapter and the 48108-1...the straight adapter and -110 filter is different!

Paul

Yup you will

Thats why I changed mine to the straight back style and I can get an alu channel under the joint with almost no mess.

Mind you, I f I had realised how much work that was going to be I wouldn't have bothered.

You need to simply punh a hole in the top of the filter and then let it drain..Its the vacuum that holding it up in there.

Frank

Jim,

I have the same engine and filter combination as you. Poke the hole in the top of the filter and let it sit overnight (at a minimum). You'll get a few dribbles when you remove the filter, but no gushers.

Time is the key. I tried to remove the filter after letting it sit approximately 8 hours and it spilled oil everywhere. When I let it sit overnight (~14-18 hours), no problems. The check valve in the filter makes a good seal, but not a perfect one.

Good luck!

It works for me

I made a channel about 5" long from one beer can. Cut the top half from another can. Cut a "v" notch in the top edge of the can for the channel. I put the shorty can on an oil cooler hose. The channel goes from the can notch to under the oil filter. Punch a small hole in the side near the bottom edge of the old filter. Unscrew the filter 180* to drain the 3oz of oil from the filter. It takes a few minutes to drain the filter.

Steve

drain

Poke a hole at the high point on top and at the low point near the rim. Easy to catch that stream. Do it when it is hot and it will drain very thoroughly in few minutes.