JVolkober

Well Known Member
90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter Conflict with B&C 8amp Alternator

Today I went about installing a 90 degree oil filter adapter with a 1.5" spacer and a B&W 8 amp auxilary alternator on my 0-320 engine. Turns out the two conflict. The alternator touches the 1.5" spacer and the flang of the oil filter adapter. Has anybody else run into this problem and if so, aside from leaving on or the other out, what is the solution?

John

Last edited:
I had the same problem attempting to install the oil filter adapter and the B&C 20A standby alternator. Tried different adapters and could not make it fit. So, I went to the firewall mounted AirWolf oil filter setup. I am really glad I did this every time I change the oil. It was fairly pricey and I had to install a doubler on the firewall to support the filter, but I would definitely do it again.

Rssults of Further Research

Well, the solution appears to be to use the B&C adpater rather than the less expensive Caper Labs, sold by Vans. All adapters are not made equal.

Well, the solution appears to be to use the B&C adpater rather than the less expensive Caper Labs, sold by Vans. All adapters are not made equal.

Nope, the B&C adapter would not work for me either. I tried every adapter I could find.

Thought and reconsideration

Now I understand Dave, thank you. Having thought this through a little more, it dawned on me that it is not the oil filter adapter that is the issue, it?s the spacer. To accommodate the B&C auxiliary alternator, yone cannot have a spacer (maybe a specer less the 1/2 inch might work). Since the spacer is optional for me, I mounted the Casper Labs (Vans) 90 degree adapter along with the B&C 8 amp alternator. Works fine for me.

An additonal questions I have is what is the acceptable method for capping the tachometer connection. I will not be using it.

John

John,

Did you consider using the Casper recommended oil filter, the K&N HP1002? This is a smaller filter and may allow you to eliminate the spacer altogether. It did for me on an O-360.

003.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing Exploration of the Problem

No, I did not. Where I am at now is that I mounted the adapter sans the spacer. Looked great. Everything fit, the adapter and the auxiliary alternator. Yahoo. All this with the engine off the mount. Next step, put the engine back on the mount. While fusing around trying to get the bolts started I noticed that the position of the adapter would not allow an oil filter to clear the cross beam member on the engine mount. Off with the engine and back to zero. It appears that the only solution, if I want the auxiliary alternator, is to go with the standard original oil filter adapter that came with my engine.

If the K&N filter would work, it would have to be much shorter than the standard filter. Can you provide me with the length from base to top?

John

John,

The filter is 3.75" tall, 3" diameter, approximately. It's pretty small but works very well. I found that on an O-360, if you want to use the Casper Labs adapter without a spacer, you have to use the K&N filter. The Champion filter would interfere with the engine mount cross member. The spacer allows the use of the Champion filter, but the K&N's are much cheaper and from my research, just as good. I'm not sure on an O-320 what the issues are, but was surprised that the height of the filter is a factor. The K&N's are about $10 in an auto parts store but less if purchased on the internet in volume (I think I paid around $4 each). Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Nope, the B&C adapter would not work for me either. I tried every adapter I could find.

I just received an email from B&C as was told that for the RV-10, I would need:

• SD-20 Standby Alternator
  • FK710-.75 Spacer for SD-20 for the RV-10
  • OFA - Oil FIlter Adapter
  • FK502-1.4 - Spacer for the OFA for the IO-540
David, I'm interested if this is the combination that you had problems with in your RV-10 and to verify you have an OEM IO-540-D4A5.

thanks,

bob

Last edited:
Bob,
Sorry, but I don't remember if those were the spacers I tried to use. I tried spacers from B&C and Casper Labs, but just could not get them to fit.
My engine is an IO-540-C4B5 that came out of an Aztec. It is a narrow deck engine, so results might well be different on the D4A5.
However, as I mentioned earlier, the firewall mounted AirWolf remote oil filter is really nice when it comes time to change oil and filter. Expensive, but I would definitely do it again.

Same Problem in an RV 8

Hi all,

I have an RV 8 with an IO 360 M1B engine, angled oil filter that I got from Mattituck. I went to install an SD 20 this weekend and found an interference. I wrote B&C and Mahlon at Mattituck. Turns out there is a spacer that fits on the vacuum pad. B&C part number FK-710-.75 that should solve the problem. I have it on order, but have not yet installed it to see if it works. More to follow.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I spoke with the B&C techs. The solution for my 0-320 using the SD-8 auxiliary alternator is the same as for the 0-540 on the RV-10 using the larger auxiliary alternator. They tried it out on a 0-320 accessory housing. The solution is to put a spacer in for the SD-8 and modify the shaft to make it longer (not clear on how that is done but it apparently is part of the spacer kit. To do this one has to remove the four studs on the housing. Cost of the spacer kit - $90.

I have decided to go back to the original oil filler and do without the 90 degree adapter. I did not want to fuss with removing the studs and incur the additional cost. I will be selling the Casper adapter and spacer and moving on, hopefully getting the engine back on the mount tomorrow.

good choice!

Hi John,

My RV-4 has the standard oil filter adapter and the SD-8, its fine, oil filter changes are not a problem, the 90 degree adapter is not needed. By the way the SD-8 is my only alternator and it works great for my VFR -4.

I just received an email from B&C as was told that for the RV-10, I would need:

• SD-20 Standby Alternator
  • FK710-.75 Spacer for SD-20 for the RV-10
  • OFA - Oil FIlter Adapter
  • FK502-1.4 - Spacer for the OFA for the IO-540
David, I'm interested if this is the combination that you had problems with in your RV-10 and to verify you have an OEM IO-540-D4A5.

thanks,

bob

Bob,

This is the exact setup I have on my io540-d4a5 in my RV10. Everything fits with plenty of clearance.

Jim

SD 20 Fitting Problems

Hi guys,

I received the FK .75 alternator adaptor from B&C. Still no go. After a long talk with TJ, one of their technicians, I figured out that my engine came from Mattituck with a 2.5 inch spacer on the 90 degree oil filter adaptor. The B&C stuff works with a 1.4 inch oil filter spacer.

The 2.5 is there to clear the motor mount. I measured and it looks like I can replace it with the 1.4 and still have it all fit. So, ordered the 1.4in spacer and will give that a try. This is a real PITA.

More to follow....

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

I'll be interested in hearing how it comes out. By my measurements, you may have a .1 inch clearance. I was convinced that it would not work with the 1.5 inch Casper adapter. The 1.4 appearspossible but iffy. I did not want to go throught the hassel of trying it out. It would mean ordering the B&C adapter and spacer with the risk that that would also not work. I think the original horizontal oil adpater will be just fine. Let me know how it comes out. I sure others contemplating this endevor will be interested as well.

I was one of the 2 original people that worked with Bill (at B&C) on what was needed for the RV-10 to make both the SD-20 and B&C angled oil filter adapter work. You need the 1.4" spacer (from B&C) for their angled oil filter adapter to provide engine mount clearance regardless of what else you do. If you have that oil filter adapter setup you've introduced interference and an SD-20 install would need their .75" spacer kit for that. It consists of replacement studs, spacer and a replacement shear coupling for the SD-20. Sounds like a bit PITA but in reality it's not a big deal and all fits and plays together fine.

With all that said however, it might be worth considering a remote oil filter instead. Cost of the angled oil filter adapter, its spacer and a spacer kit for the SD-20 are pretty close to the cost of a remote unit and there's a lot of space on the lower right part of the firewall. Downside is more weight, a pair of hoses and connection points.

Bob

adapter

I read the issues on the B&C Oil Filter Adapter. I recently bought one along with a 1.4 in spacer and have a 20A alternator from B&C. Sounds like what you guys are working with. Before I test it, can someone tell me which side of the spacer goes against the engine. I didn't see it in the B&C drawings.
It sounds like the alternator should have a spacer also? B&C did not mention that last week.

It all fits

Just as a follow up to this, I received the 1.4 spacer from B&C. When I put that on for the oil filter adaptor, then the SD-20 (with extention) bolted right up. Something of a PITA with all the orders and shipping, but I am happy with the final result.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

OFA update

I could get the oil filter adapter to work with the engine mount of an IO360M1B on an RV6A with either the .75" or 1.4" spacer, but there was interference with the 20A B&C alternator using the 1.4" spacer on the OFA. With the 0.75" spacer on the OFA and no spacer for the alternator, everything fit beautifully:)