ka6dan

Well Known Member
I have just received a quick built wing kit for my future Rv9a. Do I need a 90 deg. drill to finish the wings? If so will an adapter for my air drill or do or do I need the $$200+ drill?

More tools is always a good thing!

I've built, rebuilt, and repaired quite a number of airplanes since the early '80s and I've always gotten by with the 90 degree adapter. I've never seen a need for the high $$$ angle drills; although I would NEVER put anyone down for buying another tool.

I did the slow build wings and used the angle adapter from Avery in a few places when match drilling the flap attach brackets. If the quick build has that already done, you should be OK.

I've been using the angle adapter much more now on the fuselage. Very handy to have.

The other option is to use a 12" drill bit in places with access difficulties.

I'm with Mel. The adapters give you the option of air drill or electric. Kind of a hassle unlimbering the hose & air drill for a couple holes when you could just pick up the old Makita.

Just make sure you hold on tight to the angle adapter type. In my experience, they'll twist out of your hand quicker than a real 90 deg. drill.

I have both. I choose the big dollar angle drill any day. Granted the number of places it is necessary are very few. But when you really need it, you too can get the warm fuzzy of the right tool for the job. Every time I use the sioux small head, high speed, 90deg drill, I thank myself for buying it :).

I have an air operated 90 degree drill that I bought from the Yard Store for a little over $100.00. It works great and will get in a much tighter place than the right angle attachment. I have used it countless times. It uses the little screw in bits.

will get in a much tighter place than the right angle attachment. It uses the little screw in bits.

My right angle adapter also uses the "screw in" drill bits. It will get in anywhere a right angle will. The disadvantage is that it takes 2 hands to operate.

Real 90 deg

I'm with Scott & Jim on this. I bought a used industrial quality 90 deg drill. Not only did I find it extremely useful but I love the sound of this industrial grade drill. It makes me feel like I'm working in a real airplane factory every time I use it.

FWIW ...

...what Mel said. I bought a used 90 degree angle drive for $90 or less (from The Yard, I think) and it has worked like a charm every time I got into a tight spot. (so to speak. ;))