RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have a QB kit and it is near time to do the forward to skin. I was reviewing the slow build instructions an read the part about putting an 8 degree bend in the upper part of the firewall. I measured the angle on mine and it is closer to 20 degrees! If I force it by clecoing to the top skin it make the firewall bulge along the top row of rivets. I called Van's and like I was thinking they suggested trying to bend it back by using some boards. Before I reinvent the wheel here, has some other quick-builder gone through this and could you send me some pictures or post them here please.

Cheers

Good timing on this question, Nemo. I was literally going to ask this in the next few days. My QB firewall was pre-bent at about 20 degrees, too.

I've been staring at it for over a year now, wondering what to do about it.

Anyone?

Clamp a strong board at the bend (on the forward side), and push it back.
I've been dealing with sheetmetal, stainless, and aluminum in my business for decades, and do a lot of bending. This re-bend shouldn't be too tough. If you can't clamp it, then have helpers push against the board; or some method to keep it in place.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Same problem

My firewall was also at 20 degrees when delivered. I clamped stiff particle board on each side near the rivet line and bent it back to 8 degrees. It left a slight joggle but the F-821 went on OK after the usual wrestling match.

Thanks, guys. I did the "board-clamped-to-the-firewall" thing a few days ago, and it worked fine. The top skin went on nicely, and the firewall bend now looks good. Wonder why they overbend it so far in the first place?

I swear I've spent 200-plus hours undoing or fixing stuff in the QB fuselage, or trying to figure out what has been done and what hasn't.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd absolutely do the Standard-Build fuselage. No kidding.

same problem with my QB fuse

I have the same issue with my QB fuse. Not sure I'm ready to follow Buck on 'trading in the QB' for a standard build fuselage, but I'm getting close! I have been surprised by a lack of deburred holes and edges, questionable edge distances, gaps and spaces between some parts, and gouges and scratches in parts during shipping. No show-stoppers yet, but I expected a bit more from the "factory". Still a fantastic product though ... don't get me wrong.

These are interesting comments...I happen to be at the stage of the instructions that says "quickbuilders start here".

But, I'm a complete slow build guy with 6 months into the fuse so far. And I'm gone ~15 nights a month, so it's not like I'm building at a hair-on-fire pace.

I couldn't justify the cost, personally, and now with these results, I'm glad I didn't suck it up and pay the QB costs.

If you built the wings while the QB fuse was ordered, maybe? But if I ever go 'round this block again, I think I'd QB the wings and slow build the fuse. JMO

Joe

Last edited:
I agree

That's probably the way I would go as well Joe, especially with the prepunched fuselage now available.

I happen to be at the stage of the instructions that says "quickbuilders start here".

WOW! They actually have such a thing in the instructions? Mine sure don't say anything like that (mid-2006 vintage QB fuselage). One of the toughest things for me has been picking out which individual tasks have been done, and which have not. Sometimes, within a single sentence in the instructions, there will be one of each kind. Ugh. :rolleyes:

Glad they've made some improvements to the instructions in the past couple of years!

Yea, it says it in about 18 font, italicized bold letters...kind of depressing when you see it, then I looked at my log and realized it's been 6 months since delivery, "oh, well, that's not too bad"

If it's any consolation, there's still some mistakes in the plans :rolleyes:

Joe

Where did you clamp

Thanks, guys. I did the "board-clamped-to-the-firewall" thing a few days ago, and it worked fine. The top skin went on nicely, and the firewall bend now looks good. Wonder why they overbend it so far in the first place?

I swear I've spent 200-plus hours undoing or fixing stuff in the QB fuselage, or trying to figure out what has been done and what hasn't.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd absolutely do the Standard-Build fuselage. No kidding.

Buck,

I am still on the road and have not looked at this but I was wondering how you clamped the fire wall. I can see clamping the tops,(part above the cross support) but how did you clamp something on the bottom to keep it from flexing. If you can add pictures that would be helpful.

I know what you mean about fixing the QB, mine looks like it was initially built to be and -8 before it became a -8A. I have hole in the lower tail section for access to the tail weld mount that I don't need. My tail tie down was not install or sent with the kit, the tow lower holes for the horizontal stab supports were left open for the bolts for the tail weld mount. I have not attacked that one, but I do now my current rivet gun and set will not fit the the small space to fill those holes with rivets, I may just drill them for bolts, this would be an easier fix.

Cheers
Mike

Keep in mind that the Quikbuilds are sent over the pacific and built by a bunch of little people over there. I'm pretty sure that a guy sitting in his garage can do better if not the same job they can. You are paying Vans to have these guys assemble them. Then they are inspected once they hit the states but all the look for is major defects.

When I was at the piper factory a couple of years ago, they couldn't find enough people to work at the factory so they had a program with the local high school. Kids would spend half a day at the factory. I watched high schoolers putting togethet parts for certified airplanes. And not really caring what went where. Little scary to think about.

Clamped only the top

Mike I clamped only the top, placing a piece of 3/4 fiberboard on each side of the top section just above the F-801C angle and clamping with "C" clamps. I then eased the top part back to 8 degrees or so. Took all of 5 minutes and left a minor joggle at the angle.