glider4

Well Known Member
Ok, I waited until I had the wings on and flaps rigged before starting to install the flap fairings on my 8A. Right side flap fairing installation looks straightforward. Left side would be too - except for the already installed step. I reviewed the plans (mine are from 2006) and it basically says to cut a big hole in the fairing for the step then put patch over the extra space. Hmmm....

Anyone out there come up with a more elegant way to install the left flap fairing over/around the step? Pictures would be helpful!

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A
Final 100 hours of build time - I hope!

RV 8A Flap Fairing

I ordered a second flap fairing from Van's and used the first as a pattern. I installed the first with clecos after first roughing out the location of the step.I then cut a hole in a small piece of Aluminum which conformed to the step support exactly. The small piece was then drilled and clecoed to the fairing already installed. The assembly was then removed from the aircraft and used as a pattern for the virgin second fairing.

Good luck. I think you will be pleased with the result.

Dick Jordan

Like it!

Thanks for the reply. That's a nice solution!

In the couple of days since I posted the question, the only other thing I could think of doing was to buy a second fairing and
1. Cut the two fairings vertically (with 1/2" overlap) down the middle of the step position
2. Carefully cut out enough from each side of each fairing along my cut line for the step to fit
3. Riveting the two fairing sections back together along the overlap

I think I'm going to give your solution a shot. Call to Van's on Monday to order the second left flap fairing!

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
100 hours of building left - I hope!

Last edited:
hmmm

Well, I am glad I read this post. I am putting the fuselage skins on my -8 right now. Noticed the big hole in aft bottom skin for a step. Mine isn't getting a step so I was wondering if they sent me the right skin for a tail dragger. I looked through the dwg's but didn't see anything right off about that. So, my question is: Does the flap fairing cover this hole up completely?

bird