Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
OK Campers,

I am just about to put rubber on the ground for my 8A and my thoughts are turning to landing gear intersection fairings. I could buy some clay and set about fashioning my own, as per the plans, but I am considering some store bought fairings also.

Since the 8A is the red headed step child in the tandem RV community, there are not many possibilities. My preliminary research shows that there are two suppliers:

1- Aero Strategies has a 7 piece set (no lower fairing for the nose gear) for $250.

2- Fairings Etc. sells all 8 pieces for $410.

Can I get some builder/pilot reports on these two products and their suitability for the 8A?

Thanks for your input.

intersection fairing

Steve,
My vote is for the intersection fairings from Fairings Etc. Bob Snedaker is a great guy to work with. He's been in the fiberglass industry for years. The fairings fit almost perfectly out of the box and installed with very little additional tweaking or modification. I put them on my plane and have been very happy. If you want to talk by phone call me.

Tim
334-389-2270

You're right about the '8A being the red-headed stepchild and our choices being limited.

I recently installed the Aero Strategies fairings and would give them low marks. They work but I'm not especially pleased with the fit (took a lot of extra glass work) nor the communications with the supplier. If I were ever to build another RV-8A, I would definitely go with someone else.

--
Joe

Fairings Etc

I did both the tail fairing and gear intx fairings from them and they worked great. I think I trimmed the tail fairing a 1/4 inch, no other cutting, sanding or filling. Felt really expensive at the time but not now.

Cheers

Thanks for the great advice guys!

I knew I could count on my VAF brothers to come through. I gave Bob a call at Fairings Etc. What a nice guy. He is cobbling up a set for me.

I am so excited. Last night I mounted the main gear tires to the rims and installed them on the plane. Today is a snow day in Atlanta, so I will mount the nose gear tire assembly instead of going to work. By tonight I should be able to wheel the fuselage around the shop!

Thanks again guys.