pat

Well Known Member
Ok here is my dilema. Im building and 8A model and already have the engine hung. ECI IO360 with cold air sump. Problem: sump is 2.5 inches lower than standard which is exactly in the way of the exhaust exit. I spoke with Larry V. today and he was expecting a call on this. Currently no available exhaust for this set up. Larry ,being the great RV supporter his is, offered a custom exhaust but the exit will not run out the dam but off to the side much like his 7A. Ok, lucky me there are guys like Larry, but can I really be the only one? Anyone else have this set up? suggestions?

No you are not alone on this one, as we had this same set-up in mind. I was lucky to get ECI, Larry, and Amaricas all in the same place at the same time last year at "LOE". The amswer was to get an "M-1B" type sump from AROW so that we could use Larrys stock IO-360-M-1B exaust. It only cost a very little lose in manifold pressure. If you think of it 98% of the time you will be running between 55-70% of what-ever you have buitle one up to put out.
You will not miss it.
Good luck as you have picked out a very good type "RV".
Yours as always REA III # 80888

I have the arrow sump with a custom Vetterman exaust . I cut the cowl on both sides of the ramp so I could use the larger exaust pipes. Then made a fairing to cover the pipes, it looks like a Cirrus.

ECI Sump

This is very timely as I am working with Bob Honig of Eagle Engines on a quote for the ECI IO-360. I specifically asked him at SnF if this would work with the Van's cowl and he said it would, never thought to ask about exhaust.
I am trying to build quickly so I don't want to create extra work if I can avoid it but modding a cowl for exhaust does not seem like a lot of work, but I could be wrong.

Can anyone who has this set up post pictures with what you did for the exhaust. I guess the ECI cold sump and the theory behind it are out the window. I guess there are other good things with the ECI engine.

Cheers

No not as a system the cold air sump from ECI is a good one. We had a little inside drift on it as They were one of the big sponcers at "SWRFI" for a long time. If I could have used it and kept it as it was ment to be, I would do it again. In talks with the brass at Larrys and ECI it was more like this is one that fell through the cracks for happenstance more than anything. ECI was looking at a wide number of aircraft to put this system on and it will on most. The tail wheel being on the front end of the "A's" is as much of the problem as anything. There is only room for two small pipes to go through the engine mount framing. And yes the cowl is close fit.. Van has a good thing going as is, so they are not going to change the mount or cowl. There are very few 8-A's with this cold air intake being put on them, so Larry's not going build just a few set-ups and see if Van will put them on the shelf to gather dust. ECI has a good cold air sump and intake that will go on a lot of Kit's with no tail wheel up front, so they have made their commitment and need to hold on to it to get it to pan out.. This one I think just fell through the cracks. It can be made to work in a number of way and I am not above making a one of a kind exaust. "been there done that" We wanted to be serviceable and easy to get parts down the road for most items that will need to be fixed, Yes they will, so thats what led us to go to a sump change. That way they will be stock items when the time comes!!
Yours as always REA III #80888

spoke to the pro's today

Had a nice chat with Rhonda at BPE and Steve at America's. Both steered me back to Vetterman. Looks like a custom V for me. Likely a 4pipe system much the same as he built for his 7A.