I ordered it from A/C spruce many years ago and I was charged the hazmat fee. For my RV-7A, I decided to go with ATF instead. It's inexpensive and available at your local auto parts store.

Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF is what I used. Bought it at Autozone...

Smart people here figured out it is the same stuff as the recommened mil spec stuff. Its in the archives somewhere.

Nope,..Maybe ??

Just got a quart from SkyGeek. Royco 782 MIL-PRF-83282 for $8.99. Got some grease as well. Looking at the invoice and total shipping and handling was $10.31 which sounds a little high but not out of line. Maybe that was $4.00 shipping and $6.31 Hazmat but I'll never know :)

Bill S
7a almost there

This issue came up a couple of years ago....

...and you need to be very, very careful to not get any on your skin, at all!

My buddy had to re-route his brake lines in the cockpit of his-4 and got all sorts of scratches from sharp zip-tie ends. He then got this stuff on his arms and ended up in the emergency room, with severe swelling and contaminated blood!

Be careful,

Just got a quart from SkyGeek. Royco 782 MIL-PRF-83282 for $8.99. Got some grease as well. Looking at the invoice and total shipping and handling was $10.31 which sounds a little high but not out of line. Maybe that was $4.00 shipping and $6.31 Hazmat but I'll never know :)

Bill S
7a almost there

No,,,,that's about right on for shipping charges today. They have skyrocketed the past 3 years.

...and you need to be very, very careful to not get any on your skin, at all!

My buddy had to re-route his brake lines in the cockpit of his-4 and got all sorts of scratches from sharp zip-tie ends. He then got this stuff on his arms and ended up in the emergency room, with severe swelling and contaminated blood!

Be careful,

I have not had any skin irritation from the stuff.
Here is the MSDS for the stuff.

It is also available here as an HTML file.

Type of brake fluid?

Can some of the smart folks here make a suggestion?

Vans suggest you follow the manufacturers recommendation and states NOT to use Auto brake fluid. Mil spec 83282 is listed. Its not easily available but I can get it if its required.

On the archives, folks claim that MOBIL 1 Synthetic, without any silicone is great stuff and ideal.

So, comments welcome. ???:confused:

Vans suggest you follow the manufacturers recommendation and states NOT to use Auto brake fluid. Mil spec 83282 is listed. Its not easily available but I can get it if its required.

On the archives, folks claim that MOBIL 1 Synthetic, without any silicone is great stuff and ideal.

You can get it from SkyGeeks. They sell it in both quarts and gallons.

The key advantage with 83282 is that it has a higher flash point than standard 5606, making it more safe.

bob

Last edited:

Rick, Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF is not brake fluid. It is hydraulic fluid, but for Automatic Transmissions (ATF). Like mentioned earlier, some smarter than I have done a lot of research to make sure it was safe for use in our brakes. I've only used it for 70+ hours so far, but no problems with seals, or braking.

Hmm....Royco 782 (MIL83282) and Mobil 1 ATF are not "the same", at least per the data sheets I pulled up. Mobil 1 is a higher viscosity fluid with a lower flash point. Viscosity probably isn't a big deal at the altitudes we fly, but the whole point of replacing 5606 was to get more fire protection.

brake fluid

You might contact the manufacturers of the master cylinders and calipers, and see if their seals are compatible. Some are not, and will swell, and then leak under pressure. It won't hurt the nylon tubing for brake lines, or teflon hoses.

Problem with spec sheets is that it depends on which one you look at as many are different. The other problem is that they state values based on different standards.

Are they exactly the same? Most likely not.

Close enough? For me they are.

Flash point? Depends on what spec sheet and standard you use for the reference.....

5606 had a flash point of like 107°C if memory serves me correctly, either of these well exceed that...

25f7sxg.jpg

s4zbd0.jpg

Hmm....Royco 782 (MIL83282) and Mobil 1 ATF are not "the same", at least per the data sheets I pulled up. Mobil 1 is a higher viscosity fluid with a lower flash point. Viscosity probably isn't a big deal at the altitudes we fly, but the whole point of replacing 5606 was to get more fire protection.

Last edited: