sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I can never keep the rules straight... I've got a deal on a 430W from a guy, pulling it from his plane during a GTN upgrade. For my purposes, eventually going into my -9A for eventual IFR use, do I need an 8130? I wouldn't think so, since we're E/AB.

For that matter, I'm not even sure the guy is able to provide an 8130. And I seem to remember that you can't get one after the fact. It's not a problem to have a local avionics shop around here do a bench test on it to see if everything's working. But like I said, I don't seem to think they can issue an 8130 on the unit after the fact, right?

Thanks for clarification!

Craig is right. Anyone rated to approve a piece of equipment for service can 8130 it. Also, you don't need it. Pretty sure there aren't any "bogus" 430's out there.

Dave, there are bogus 430s out there. Like the one I was in the process of getting. The deal was a scam, the first I've come anywhere near being involved on eBay in the 15+ years I've been a member there.

The price, while quite low for a 430W's value, wasn't far off from what I'd seen them sell for sometimes, especially in the case of a GTN swap. But what set my radar (or is that GPS?) off was the fake eBay invoice, using a payment method I'd never heard of before (MoneyPak electronic debit cards from Walmart or CVS). Quick Googling found it was a frequent manner of scamming recently.

I took my own thread off-topic here. But be careful out there! It's cliche, but trust your instincts.

I haven't dug it up in a long time, but the 8130 is not a return to service approval or an airwothiness sign off. It was created to weed out "bogus" (counterfeit) parts. What it says in effect, is that yes this is a 430 built by Garmin. An 8130 is not a "yellow tag" which isn't real anyway, just an industry standard.

The 8130-3 is an official "Airworthiness Approval Tag" for engines, propellers and articles. It was designed for export of products outside the USA mainly but has become the "standard" tag and is used by all manufacturers while most repair stations continue to use the "yellow tag".

The "Yellow Tag" is also an acceptable means of approving a part for return to service if the repair station is authorized to issue one. A repair station must be authorized for each model article it approves for service. For example I am authorized to repair/test and return to service (using an 8130-3 or yellow tag) for altimeters, transponders and altitude encoders. Even though I can test many other products like nav/comms & GPS's I am not able to "return to service" those items using the 8130 or yellow tag because they are not on my repair station approved capabilities list.

Last edited:
An 8130-3 is not needed for approval to install, even in a certified aircraft. The 8130-3 is one way of establishing airworthiness for a part installed, but is not the only way. The installer makes that determination.

Last edited:
Tagged as...

I will sometimes tag a part as "removed from Nxxx in serviceable condition", including all the aircraft particulars. This way there is no known defect that would prevent someone from installing it. Once installed it can be ops checked, or if required, flown as a day vfr flight to perform "operational check flight of.." provided the piece of equipment is not required for day vfr. Sign off can be "meets requirement of POH supplement section...." There is usually a some kind of standard in the equipment's operation manual to reference. Pilots typically can determine this as they need to be able to make that kind of determination anyway every time they fly. So the pilot has not returned it to service, only determined that the work performed was in fact airworthy.

The 8130-3 is an official "Airworthiness Approval Tag" for engines, propellers and articles. It was designed for export of products outside the USA mainly but has become the "standard" tag and is used by all manufacturers while most repair stations continue to use the "yellow tag".

The "Yellow Tag" is also an acceptable means of approving a part for return to service if the repair station is authorized to issue one. A repair station must be authorized for each model article it approves for service. For example I am authorized to repair/test and return to service (using an 8130-3 or yellow tag) for altimeters, transponders and altitude encoders. Even though I can test many other products like nav/comms & GPS's I am not able to "return to service" those items using the 8130 or yellow tag because they are not on my repair station approved capabilities list.

As usual Walt is spot on.

Pat

FAA order 8130.21B (procedures for completion and use). Okay I'm caught up. That's what happens when you go hermit for too long. I wasn't all the way off track, I still had one wheel on and was skiddin' along.