bobby

Made a little mistake :eek: and am considering solutions for a fix. Can't call Van's until Monday morning so here's the issue.

This is my 802B-L riveted to the 802F. I won't make excuses but I forgot to leave a hole open for the upper bolt that attaches the 802T (red rivet) and to countersink the 802F and dimple the 802B hole (green rivet). That hole gets a flush rivet because the 802T overlays that rivet a little bit.

Red rivet is no big deal. The hole for the bolt is larger so drill out the rivet and drill the larger hole for the bolt.

Green rivet choices:
1) order new parts and have a do over. Not a big deal except for the time to get the parts.

2) Trim the 135 degree corner of the 802T below the lower bolt hole about 1/16 to 3/32 to clear the rivet head. But the instructions specifically say the 802T should not be modified.

3) Drill out the green rivet and countersink the 802B (040 thick) for the 426-4 rivet. The depth of the 426-4 rivet head is about the same 040.

I don't want to drill out all the rivets so I could dimple the 802B and countersink the 802F as I think the overall structure will be weaker doing that.

I'm leaning toward option 3. Even after countersinking the 040 thick 802B the 426-4 head will be almost completely supported by the 040 material. Not ideal though.

IMG_1317.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Bob,
Option #3 will work just fine. Standard practice allows you to countersink for 3/32" flush rivets in material as thin as .032". Since your 802B is .040" thick, you are good to go.
Charlie Kuss

Oops

Can you use the "Oops" rivet in this situation? I've forgotten the NAS # but it has the -4 shank dia. and the -3 flush head which wouldn't go so deep into the material.

That would probably work but the head on the oops rivet has a smaller diameter and will grab less material. Don't know what would be better; go deeper and grab more or less deep and grab less. Either way I didn't have a -6 length oops rivet to use.

It's already done and worked out pretty well.

Moral of the story if some time passes between part prep and riveting be sure to revisit the plans even if you think you know what rivets go where. You might be wrong. Parts have a way of loosing the markings on them during preparation. But I wasn't going to make excuses.

Bob