mkjprice

I may have asked this before, but I am a big guy and I know the difference in speed between the 8 and the 8A, but is there more room in the A. I have heard that there is more leg room due to the different location of the landing gear towers. I plan to do the fastback conversion for the airplane as I understand it makes it a little wider at the shoulders. I am 6'4" tall - 275 lbs, and I am 23" at the shoulders.

All of you 8 Experts help me out. I plan to start building early next year.

The fastback mod does gain you a little of space at the shoulders. Its about 3/4 of an inch on either side. It also enlarges the turtle deck (more aft baggage room) and requires you to modify the Vertical Stab slightly.

The 8A does remove the gear towers from the footwell, but it dosen't give you more "length" to the pedals.

I beleive there is a "tall pilot" option. If you want any dimensions off of my
fastback mod 8A (fuse 80% done) I can get a ruler out for you. :)

Mike,

The answer is yes there is more room for the pilot in the A model. I have built both and the A model has more leg room (no gear towers). Once the airplanes are off the ground there is no difference, they fly the same.

Pat

My Experience

I am 6'4" at 250 lbs and I have built the 8A. My plane will be flying in about 3 months. But I have found that the 8A without the tall man option works great for me; legs, sholder, etc.

I am 6'4" at 250 lbs and I have built the 8A. My plane will be flying in about 3 months. But I have found that the 8A without the tall man option works great for me; legs, sholder, etc.

Awesome news for me- as I figure after a few years of working instead of eating, I can get down to 250 lbs. Van's says that the standard configuration will work for up to 6'6". I am more worried about cramped legs and shoulders.

Has anyone ever flown front seat in a Pitts S2-C and an 8? I have some Pitts Time but no 8 time.

Mike,

Decisions, decisions. Get used to it.

When you get to that point, I highly recommend you install the cockpit adjustable rudder pedal assembly. While cruising along in flight or just sitting on the ground, with the pull of the spring loaded lanyard you can quickly and easily adjust the forward and aft position of the pedals for maximum comfort. This is a great feature, especially when you want to stretch out your legs during a long cross country. ;)

qnn24o.jpg