wingtime

Well Known Member
While working on my fuse I noticed that the two dimples for the #8 screws that hold the rudder cable clamp at the aft end of the tailcone both have cracks in them. I'm glad I noticed this. I'd hate to imagine how far they would have traveled once I was flying. I guss I'm going to drill out the dimples with my unitbit and make a doubler to hold the screw.

Has anyone else experienced this? I guess the dimple die just stretched the aluminum too far.

Bruce Smith

cracking

wingtime said:
While working on my fuse I noticed that the two dimples for the #8 screws that hold the rudder cable clamp at the aft end of the tailcone both have cracks in them. I'm glad I noticed this. I'd hate to imagine how far they would have traveled once I was flying. I guss I'm going to drill out the dimples with my unitbit and make a doubler to hold the screw.

Has anyone else experienced this? I guess the dimple die just stretched the aluminum too far.

Bruce Smith

I thought I was the only one to have this happen (wing root). I stop drilled the cracks. The wing root only has the root fairing attached, so not a big deal.

Vern Little.

I just drilled my -9A fuse skins for the rudder cable clamp Saturday morning. I noticed my #8 Cleaveland dimple die was a bit tight after opening the hole with the #19 drill bit. Thought maybe I shoulda used a #18.......
Steve

No uncommon but....

wingtime said:
While working on my fuse I noticed that the two dimples for the #8 screws that hold the rudder cable clamp at the aft end of the tailcone both have cracks in them. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess the dimple die just stretched the aluminum too far. Bruce Smith
Bruce this is not uncommon, a #8 is a lot of hole is a lot of material to move.

I am curious did you use a Cleveland dimple die or other method?
(Reason I ask is the Cleavland die will reduce the likely hood of cracks, many builder take a scrap of aluminum, countersing it and use a scew to make large screw dimples; I don't recommend it.)

The key to NOT getting a crack is making sure you have a good HOLE, drilled to proper size and most important deburred both sides. Next you want the die and the metal NOT to be real cold. Heating with a heat gun is an option, but working cold is a added risk. Work slow.

The Fix:
I assume the cracks are from the inside edge of the hole out towards the edge of the dimple. I would do more than just stop drill. Depending on how LONG the crack is you could open the hole up to remove the CRACK.

I agree with a doubler and you could make a IRON works out of it. However it is not real structural and you just done want the crack traveling in the parent material.

You could (depending how long the cracks are and how much material is removed) do noting except clean the cracks up, add a backing "washer" or plate that is dimpled or counter sink if using a thicker piece of material which may be best. You could just use a tinnerman washer if the problem is mild but not sure how well it would fit with a reverse fit on the back of a dimple.

The last choice and best fix (may be overkill for your case) is riveted a doubler around the area. This would be the likely choice if you had to remove most of the dimple and open the hole up wide. An effective doubler should have two rows or rivets all around the hole. The down side is LOTS of details (more holes and rivets) to mess up. An intermediate option is made a doubler, circular donut doubler bond it on with structural bonding adhesive. In a pinch prop seal makes a good bond with proper surface prep. The purpose of the doubler is to remove the stress in the parent material and have a load path in into the surrounding structure into the parent material.

Again this is not structural, it's just an adel clamp being clamped down and held to the side of the fuselage (I think that is what you are talking about, but repair of cracks in dimples are the same.)

G

Last edited:
GMCJETPILOT

Thanks for the reply. I had to go and check but yes, the dimple dies I used to dimple the holes are Cleaveland's. I did the usual prep and deburr before making the dimple. I didn't heat the metal, however since I live in FL I doubt it was cold either. I'm pretty certain I used the C-frame tool here.

The cracks extend radially from the hole about halfway out the dimple. I plan on opening up the holes to remove the cracks and see how much is left. If it's not enough I'l either dimple our countersink a patch or doubler to rivet on the inside of the skin. Like you said this is only to hold the screw for the adel clamp. And while it's not structural a crack running around the tailcone would be of concern!

I Think this is the first time I ever used this dimple set. I plan on getting some scrap and practicing to see what happens.

BTW Doug Reeves had a story on this called "making lemonade out of lemons" or something like that under builder mods.

That the spirit

Way to go wingtime:

Great idea make scrap pieces to test and practice. Sounds like you have a handle on it. You did it all right but sh.......pens. I do think the #8 dimple is pushing the limits. May be fast is better than slow. Beautiful

G

I know this is just common sense, but use a lot of light taps with the hammer instead of one or two big hits to form the dimple to reduce the chance of splitting the material.
Jim RV-9A wings N9651K Arkansas