TShort

Well Known Member
For the -8 QB fuse there are 12 AN4-11A bolts that need to be put in the front of the center section.

How did you guys orient them? Bolt head fore, with washer underneath since that's what I'll be torquing? Or should I try to sneak the bolts in from the spar area and put the nuts on the front? Looks like I'll have to take the wood spacers out anyway to get the bolts in there.

I wonder why they don't put them in during the build like you would if you were building the slow build fuse ... ?

Thomas

Thomas,

The leave those out because until those holes are filled, the spar can be either a taildragger or a nosedragger. They leave that option. I put the bolts in from the "outside" of the spar, and found a neighbor with really skinny arms and tiny hands to help put the nuts on...

Paul

Paul-

Thanks for the reply. Did them last night ... couldn't find the small neighbor you mentioned :) so I taped the nuts inside the end of a box wrench and finagled them into the center section while standing on my head in the fuse.

Really the toughest part was pulling the plastic liners they put in over the temporary bolts holding the wood "spar" in place ... otherwise not too hard.

Thomas

And I suspect a number of 8 QBs flying around without them... Easy to miss that "one liner" in the instructions when you are trying to figure out where to start the QB Fus section... :eek:

We did them "outside to in", and I think had to go up a bolt size to keep inspector happy with enough threads clearly though the nut... As you say, needs a thin arm :D

This thread inspired me to install mine on Saturday. I got worried that I might forget and end up in a QBer situation. I did notice the threads don't come all the way out of the hole but there was enough thread past the nylock. I don't think there would be much load on these bolts and Vans must know about the thread contact with the alum. bar. I might email them to be sure though.

I had added a washer so there was one each side, wanting to avoid damaging the anodize, since the awkward location meant it would not be pure "tighten nut over washer" always i.e. sometimes turning the bolt. It was our inpector that drew attention to the lack of threads.

Final Installation was 2 x "thin" washer and bolts 1 size up = Inspector happy :)

My curiousity is peaked, and I gotta do it

Andy Hill said:
I had added a washer so there was one each side, wanting to avoid damaging the anodize, since the awkward location meant it would not be pure "tighten nut over washer" always i.e. sometimes turning the bolt. It was our inpector that drew attention to the lack of threads.

Final Installation was 2 x "thin" washer and bolts 1 size up = Inspector happy :)
Guys,,, where is this in the manual? I'll do it today.

Mike

Guys,,, where is this in the manual? I'll do it today.
What - the bolts altogether? In the "Fuselage" section. Read carefully from the beginning and you will see it. However, it is far earlier than most of the stuff applicable to QB... so suspect easily missed :eek: