flyingbeaver26

I'm ready to order my FWF kit. I have a some concerns that there may be a couple items I need to omit from my order based on my set up. I have built a custom throttle quadrant, so I believe the stack throttle, mixture, & pitch cables will be too short. Not positive though. Here is what I already have:

- Lyc IO360 M1B
- Hartzell blended prop

This is what I plan to buy at the same time as my FWF kit:

- Raven Inverted oil
- 1 LS ignition plasma II (replace 1 mag)
- Vans FWF kit for IO360 M1B (sans engine control cables)
- MT prop governor
- Vetterman exhaust (2-pipe exit)
- Heat muff for exhaust
- Sam James Cowl
- Sam James Plenum

Based on my shopping list, is there anything that comes to mind that I should add or subtract to my FWF kit? any other general advice is appreciated too regarding my set-up.
Thanks,
Brad

Obviously, you need to delete the cowl and other items that you are buying aftermarket from your Van's order.

In fact, I did not order the FWF kit at all as I had built two earlier projects and knew what I wanted. You can do the same by getting the listing for the kit and pick and chose what you want as a by-item order. Also, there may be a price difference as sometimes Van's penalizes deletions from standard kits.

This will allow you to chose some improved items such as SS hoses, heat control boxes, gascolator, etc.

I didn't order a FWF either. Just picked from the list as needed. They'll email you a list for your engine.

Order your exhaust straight from Larry, it includes 1 cabin heat muff and cost less. Don't forget the turn-down tips.

90 degree pipe for heatbox is would be nice as well.

Baffle kit is worth every dime too.

John, Deene,
Thanks for your insight. Since I am using the Sam James cowl and plenum, do I still need the baffle kit? or should I get some spare sheet metal and build my own baffles?
Also, how do I get the drawings that i need if I don't order the FWF kit?
-Brad

I also have the James cowl and plenum. I built the remaining baffle pieces without the Van's kit. Sam includes plans for the pieces, but they are not the greatest, but useable.

Get the James stuff, visit some other builders and then decide if you need to order the baffle kit.

BTW, you can order any or all of the extra fwf plans...check with Van's

Deene would know better than I about the plenum. I agree with him, Van will sell you the plans you need. In fact the baffle plans are in the catalog / web store.

a couple of other things

Hi Brad,

I agree with all the other postings, I did the same. In addition to baffle plans, the firewall layout drawings are fairly useful, even if you don't follow them exactly, they give you ideas for things. You want drawings OP-33,34, maybe OP-29, and a couple of others, just for ideas from the carbureted installations.

I would also add that is a chance to upgrade a bit from what Van's supplies in the FWF kit. Examples: Vans includes an aluminum heater control valve - there is a really nice stainless steel one available instead - Spruce has it, but you can order direct from the fellow that makes it in Escalante, UT. For the starter, instead of the Sky-Tec Light Weight, the Sky-Tec NT is a better unit for a small cost increase. Or B&C is pricey but many people swear by them.

When you order the exhaust direct from Vetterman, if you specify the down-turn tips (which you do want) you will get a bit of a lecture, because the down-turns are standard now. Larry's point is that only the RV-8 needs it, but he made it standard anyway. Larry is a great guy though, and you save a few bucks by ordering direct from him.

In case you're interested, I have a complete constant-speed spinner kit to sell. I decided to buy a Whirl Wind 200RV prop, and it comes with the spinner. So this kit has been opened, but not used. I did use the rear spinner bulkhead as a guide to fit the cowl - you will need to do that too.

Also, when you figure out what length control cables you need, I have two extra's that might work for you. I have a 55" and a 60" left over. My IO-360-A1A installation with stock throttle quadrant needed shorter cables than Van's recommends, I have no idea why they recommend that they do. I needed 48" for the prop control, and 52.5" for the mixture (both stock lengths fortunately). the Throttle could have been 57.5", but 60" works ok. So I had the others left over.

Anyway, send me a PM if you find you can use a 55" and/or 60", and/or the spinner. I'll ask 3/4 of Van's price.