Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I'm trying to decide where to put my expermimental decal so that it fits, meets regs, and doesn't look too bad. Photos or descriptions of what others have done would be welcome.

Guy

Remember, it only has to be visible to "anyone entering the cabin." Some people put it on the flap leading edge so that it is not visible with flaps up. If you do this however, you MUST have the flaps down while loading people.
On my tip-up, the placard is on the bottom of the glare shield. It is not visible with the canopy closed. Also, you cannot enter the cabin with the canopy closed.

P.S. If you were building an RV -3, you wouldn't have to put one on at all. Since the -3 design is over 30 years old, you can use an "X" in the N number instead. And the 30 year mark is rapidly approaching for the -4.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide where to put my expermimental decal so that it fits, meets regs, and doesn't look too bad. Photos or descriptions of what others have done would be welcome.

Guy

Here's where I put mine. It's clearly visible to anyone getting in. This is the sticker that came in the EAA certification kit.

placards-w.jpg

Last edited:
Mine's in the same place as Geoff's (above) but sewn into the sidewall liner. I'll try to post a pic later.

Chris

Proud to be Experimental

I am proud that my airplane will be Experimental (not saying that you aren't):) I personally will proudly and prominantly label my RV-8 as experimental. This is nothing to hide.

Kerry Stevens

I am proud that my airplane will be Experimental (not saying that you aren't):) I personally will proudly and prominantly label my RV-8 as experimental. This is nothing to hide.

Kerry Stevens

Oh, I agree completely! I'm just looking for the best place to display my "badge of honor". So often, I do something and then see a much more clever method later. I'm just trying to get some more ideas. I've gone through my extensive photo collection, and haven't found many photos of that particular placard. Geoff's solution above seems like the most common and is what I'm leaning towards.

I've also thought about putting it on the turtledeck, immediately behind the passenger seat, but the socket for the slider rail gets in the way.

I've always liked the: Experi-"mental" labels.

Although it's probably the wrong message to convey to the general public.

Guy
Guy,

Like other examples I have seen, I affixed the EXPERIMENTAL placard to the canopy side skirt.

2zix2iv.jpg

One other option

You could carve "experimental" into the wing walk. A friend did that on his Sonex and it came out very nice.

This would be easier on the -4 because you always get in on the same side.