JimWoo50

Well Known Member
My cylinder head temperature seems to be rooted at 275 or so on a new chrome (I don't know what kind) 0-320. Is this hot enough to break in the engine? I am using mineral oil and have 7.5 hrs so far, with the intention of changing oil and cleaning the screen at ten hours. I am estimating oil useage at .5 qt per hr. and fuel consumption at 12 gph at 2500rpm.

Oil temperature stays (with the oil cooler covered) at 150 or so highest I've seen it is 180 and that was when it was warm.

Oil pressure is barely in the green arc at 62psi, even after putting in three washers to the valve with the ball in it. I have been told that there are different springs that can be used and will try that if necessary. I am using 5 qts. of oil with the intention of using 4 as a minimum.

Fuel pressure is in the green with the electric pump on but when I turn it off the pressure drops to out of the green arc and slowly (ten mins) builds back up until it is touching the green just barely.

Plane flies great. Its a riot to fly so far, not twitchy at all and it goes where its pointed and very fast too. At least at these light weights.

I'm not sure but will say...

12 gph on an O-320 sounds high, are you leaning any at all??? Might be getting so much fuel that it is cooling it that way????

Just a humble thought....

Greg

not leaning my rv6

perhaps I should but have been staying mostly below 4k forgot to mention its an rv6.

Hi, Jim.

I am not an engine expert, I hope one of them will reply soon.
275 is low for an engine that is being broken in.
I would be looking at my engine monitor to make sure that it is reading the temp correctly. Check the calibration on the monitor or get someone with a portable temp. reader to check to make sure that what you see is what you are getting.
While I was breaking in my IO-320 my temp were close to 400 most of the time. I would not start leaning until I had a handle on the temp. If your engine monitor is off by 150 degrees you won't want to try to increase the temp for the break in.

Kent