revenson

Well Known Member
The first flight of RV-7A, 70503, occurred April 25, 2010, with Robbie Attaway at the controls. Darwin Barrie and I flew chase in his 7. Robbie reported a great airplane flying straight and true. The only squawk was very minor, a reversed aileron trim switch. Maximum cylinder head temperatures were 386, 368, 357, and 362. I don’t know how common those temps are, but with the brand new ECI IO-360, I had expected higher temps on that first flight. I’m now a believer that louvers work on the bottom cowl.

I wasn’t looking for someone else to fly that first flight, but when Robbie called and offered, I couldn’t refuse. Robbie (Attaway Air) built this engine and with his vast pilot experience was ideal for the job. I didn’t notice any particular anxiety about doing the first flight myself, but with a new engine, a new airframe, and after my Subaru engine out experience several years ago resulted in an off-airport landing and destroyed 9A, there was probably more anxiety there than I recognized. Robbie’s willingness to fly that first flight meant more to me than he’ll ever know or I can repay. Robbie, you can borrow my plane anytime. Special thanks to Darwin Barrie for making the connection.

Lots of other folks to thank. One of particular note is Glenn Brasch. He located this partially-completed project. Glenn could have purchased it himself and he’d be closer to flying an RV than he is now. Instead he let me know about it. Thanks Glenn.

Thanks to all you poster’s on VAF. Thanks also to Gil Alexander, Marvin Manley, AJ Pawlowski, Jerald King, Hawk Pierce, Barry and Chet, Ross and Dustin Evenson, and of course Susie. An absolute must is having spousal support for such a time-consuming project.

Vendors I particularly appreciated: Van’s Aircraft, of course; Fairings-Etc; GRT; Trutrak; Airflow Performance; EmagAir; Larry Vetterman; and Omega Systems AOA. My ECI cylinders were in the first AD batch. ECI was incredibly responsive and helpful, way beyond expectations.

You’ve heard it before, but it’s so true: “Keep pounding those rivets.” The RV grin is definitely worth it.:)

Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow.

Last edited:
Being a web guy, I shouldn't admit it, but I don't know how to post photos on Doug's site. I did submit one to van's though.

Congrats

Roger, I couldn't be happier for you to get back in the air. It was pleasure coming down and flying chase for that first flight. You did a great job on building a straight and dependable airplane.

You can now fly with confidence and join the World that so many of us now enjoy. The best people and the best plane, hands down.

Get that 40 flown off before it gets too hot and start traveling.

Was a Pleasure

Hey Roger, It was a pleasure to fly your airplane. I will take you up on the offer to let me fly it later on.

Great Job,
Robbie

Back in saddle again

Roger,

Great news. Hopefully I will be joining you in the sky later in the fall.

Roger,

Congrats on your first flight.
Your airplane is great.
Im in line to fly it with you.

Did you fly it Tuesday morning??

Ken
RV-3A
"The Hotts"

KRYN