lorne green

Well Known Member
For builders that have gone before:
Some builder's web sites show the brake resv./tubing connection using boiling water to soften the tube to slide the fittings together. Question: What is the sequence for 7a brake lines.
Is it: Slide the 1/4" ferrule over the tube, THEN insert the fine P63-PT3-25 Brass Insert. Or Visa/versa; insert first, the brass insert then the 1/4" ferrule?
What works best? Lord knows I've tried! Cut fingers and all.
:confused:

brake lines

nut first then ferrule then the insert last. The only place that the insert really does any work is right where the ferrule contacts the fitting you are connecting to. It may not be necessary to have the insert all the way into the brake line. 70% might be good enough. You can tell if you place the hose into the fitting and you can see the insert just sticking out of the fitting then you have inserted it enough.

boiling water

I just did the brake line thing on my 7A and found that sticking the end of the tube in boiling water for about 2 1/1 minutes allowed me to push the insert into the tube. I used a flat surface like a dinner knife to help force that sucker in. good luck.

brakes

Minutes? Well I soaked the ends in boiling water for 45 seconds or so. I deformed the ferrule ring so I'll try again, only...install nut (of course) slide the ring over the end of tubing, heat in boiling water (2 minutes) insert brass insert.
I understand some older kits did not include the brass insert. Vans must have had some leaks previous.

The light goes on! Flaring tool works in a pinch

So, I decided not to try the boiling water soak technique. Instead, I tried and was successful in using my flaring tool. This was very easy and no damage to either the tool or the fitting.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lorne7a
First attempt at posting Picasa, so here goes!
regards,