flytoday

Well Known Member
Starting rebuild of replacement engine mount and nose gear strut, using new mount and -3 nose strut kit from Vans.

Do I need to drill out the upper hole in the nose gear strut and matching mount hole to 5/16th for an AN5 bolt? The single instruction sheet with this new kit did not provide details.

Thx!

Carl

Hi Carl,

If you are talking about the bolt that attaches the gear leg to the mount, then yes this is correct. Although, I recommend you take steps to ensure your hole is an interference fit with the mount. The right way to do it would be the ream the existing hole to fit your AN5 bolt (noting that they will vary in diameter to some extent).

I had issues with mine moving about and fitted an oversize close tolerance bolt. No issues since then.

Tom over at GAHco has all the bits. See here -> http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=108655

If you search around here for "close tolerance" and "taper pin" you will find quite a few threads on the subject.

Just did it

I just did this with a new -3 nose gear leg that Vans had matched drilled to the obsolete design one.

The motor mount had not been touched since shipment, and all of the holes were slightly undersize, but not by much. A 19/64 drill bit was a very loose fit in the hole.

My AN5 bolts measured 0.311.

If your AN bolts are a smaller diameter (AN5 bolts are 0.309 to 0.312 diameter), a close tolerance NAS bolt is 0.3110 to 0.3112 and could be used.

A 0.3105 reamer did the trick, and I was quite amazed at how easily it cut through the hardened steel parts just using a small cordless drill. Lots of oil used though.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=334-5056

When it was all done the AN5 bolt went in with a few gentle taps - it was too tight to push through with your fingers.

I did use a VAF idea and inserted the reamer shank into the hole first and pulled the reamer into the hole from the far side. It seemed easier to keep things centered this way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!! I'm slowly recovering from that bolt failing in shear and dumping my idling prop into the taxiway.

Carl