RV7ator

Well Known Member
Can the 795/6 GPS repeat GTN650 flight plans/Direct To/RNAV displays?

I'd dearly love to use the GPS as a larger screen presentation of the 650. This capability was available (and I used it a lot!) between a 695 and a 430W, though you'd have to install an inline switch to break the 232 connection so the GPS could operate independently.

I've run a 232 Out from the GTN to the 795's Rx In, configured Aviation In/NMEA out and the 795 reports "disconnected". The 795 says that connection and setting should import flight plans, but no joy. (NMEA out from the 795 goes nowhere, BTW, since the 650 won't listen to non-cert gear.)

Anyone having success repeating a GTN onto a 7XX?

John Siebold

Brian,

The latest and greatest on the 795: v3.2. The GTN is still at 2.0 and will remain so for a few more months.

John

I've run a 232 Out from the GTN to the 795's Rx In, configured Aviation In/NMEA out and the 795 reports "disconnected". The 795 says that connection and setting should import flight plans, but no joy.

John Siebold

Hello John,

How many GTN serial ports are configured for Aviation Output?

As discussed in Garmin Installation Bulletin 1128, GTN V2.XX software has a limitation whereby it will only transmit on the last port configured in this manner.

GTN V3.XX software is available and removes this limitation and adds all the latest changes in support of ADS-B Out.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Two. I just disabled one of them and the 795 connected. Thank goodness!

I vaguely recall discussion about this limitation several months ago only after your mention of it. Still, v3 and the GTX will await transport to the dealer for upgrade some months from now. The cost of shipping exceeds my cost to fly the boxes 400 miles in 'Ol Blue; for excuses, that beats hamburgers. At least operability and wiring integrity is verified so I can move on with the build.

Your message time is 10:50 p.m. That's dedication.

John Siebold