Chino Tom

Well Known Member
Patron
When I updated my 796 several months ago (3.10 I believe), the Traffic
page was added with this update. Earlier this week I updated to 3.2
using the Garmin Web Updater. I had no issues.

Now i'm trying to update a friend of mine's 796 that was purchased in the
spring and had software version 2.50. The update to 3.20 was successful
but the Traffic Page was not added. He is panel installing this 796 and will
be connected to a GDL39 thru the 796 cable.

It doesn't appear that with this software update (3.2) his 796 will communicate
witht he GDL39.

Advice welcome. Thanks.

Thanks. I did the manual thing and checked the Serial Port Format
which is "Garmin data transfer" and should be good to go with the GDL39.

Still no traffic page.

Maybe one of the Garmin guys with chime in... please :)

When I updated my 796 several months ago (3.10 I believe), the Traffic
page was added with this update. Earlier this week I updated to 3.2
using the Garmin Web Updater. I had no issues.

Now i'm trying to update a friend of mine's 796 that was purchased in the
spring and had software version 2.50. The update to 3.20 was successful
but the Traffic Page was not added. He is panel installing this 796 and will
be connected to a GDL39 thru the 796 cable.

It doesn't appear that with this software update (3.2) his 796 will communicate
witht he GDL39.

Advice welcome. Thanks.

Hello Tom,

Brantel is onto something. If I understand the post, the Aera 796 "will be" connected to a GDL39 at some point, but is not yet.

The 796 will only add the traffic page when it knows that a traffic sensor like the GDL39 is configured and present. It will retain that knowledge through power cycles once it has established that a traffic page is needed, but will never initially show a traffic page unless one is needed.

If you follow the configuration instructions on page 188 of the Rev. C Aera 796 Pilot Guide and connect a GDL39, I am pretty sure it will rapidly add the capability to display a traffic page.

Let us know if you have any troubles with this.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I will try that (although on my 796 the software update 3.1 added the traffic page without the GDL39 connection).

thanks again for the response. I let you know.

Thanks Steve, I will try that (although on my 796 the software update 3.1 added the traffic page without the GDL39 connection).

thanks again for the response. I let you know.

Tom, If you ever had your GDL39 connected with a prior version (3.00), it would remember that you needed it on 3.1. Maybe that is the case with yours?

Hello Tom,

Brantel is onto something. If I understand the post, the Aera 796 "will be" connected to a GDL39 at some point, but is not yet.

The 796 will only add the traffic page when it knows that a traffic sensor like the GDL39 is configured and present. It will retain that knowledge through power cycles once it has established that a traffic page is needed, but will never initially show a traffic page unless one is needed.

If you follow the configuration instructions on page 188 of the Rev. C Aera 796 Pilot Guide and connect a GDL39, I am pretty sure it will rapidly add the capability to display a traffic page.

Let us know if you have any troubles with this.

Thanks,
Steve

Bingo, just as you said. After connecting the 796 to the GDL39 the software
updated and the traffic page appeared as well as the weather source choice in the weather menu. Thanks for the help.

One more question, in this installation, the GDL39 is mounted behind the panel and the 796 in in the panel. There is a ADb-s remote antenna installed, but
do both the 796 and the GDL39 need remote GPS antennas? As indicated before, the two units are hard wired with the 796/GDL39 cable. If only one antenna is workable, to which unit should it be connected?

Thanks again. Your stuff really works great!

One more question, in this installation, the GDL39 is mounted behind the panel and the 796 in in the panel. There is a ADb-s remote antenna installed, but do both the 796 and the GDL39 need remote GPS antennas? As indicated before, the two units are hard wired with the 796/GDL39 cable. If only one antenna is workable, to which unit should it be connected?

Thanks again. Your stuff really works great!

Hello Tom,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working well.

As you know, both the GDL39 and the Aera 796 have internal GPS receivers and antennas. The GPS receivers operate independently, and either will need an external antenna if mounted in such a way that the internal antenna cannot receive a strong GPS satellite signal.

You might check the reception first before adding an antenna. We have had some customer reports of good reception without the remote antenna, but I think that has mostly been in RV-10s.

Thanks,
Steve

both the GDL39 and the Aera 796 have internal GPS receivers and antennas. The GPS receivers operate independently, and either will need an external antenna ...

You say "operate independently" but also say "either". Do we need to install gps antennas for both devices? or Will the 796 with a remote GPS antenna source the GPS information to the GDL 39?

You say "operate independently" but also say "either". Do we need to install gps antennas for both devices? or Will the 796 with a remote GPS antenna source the GPS information to the GDL 39?

Both of em need their own antenna. Either the built in one or an external one on each device.