SeanB

Well Known Member
I'm confused. Nothing new.

Drawing 18 for the RV-7/A, and I assume the same for the 9/A indicates drilling the two aft holes for the 721 to the longeron and then trimming off an aft portion of the 721 deck plate afterward (tip up).

If you look at the callouts in Detail E of this drawing (tip up), it references specific information for the Left, then another set of callouts for the Right.

It seems these cuts and drilling these two aft holes would apply to both Left and Right the same? The drawing makes me think otherwise. I hope this makes sense.

Any input from those that have done this already?

Thanks,

My copy of Dwg 18 has no reference to alternate dimensions for left hand components.
Left and rights are mirror images.

Make sure you are not confusing Detail D as something it is NOT.
Detail D is a side view. Detail E is a top view.
Look at the direction arrows adjacent the the details.

The intent of the drawing (for tip-up) is to get those extra two holes accurately placed into the longeron via backdrilling from the prepunched F-721Bs and then do the trimming called out in BOTH details D and E. For tip-up, you do all the cutting. For slider you do not cut everything (meaning none of E and only part of D)

Take your time. Getting the F-721Bs located wrong on the longerons will have downstream consequences. I remember it being a little non-intuitive, because the longeron curvature extends outside the 721Bs. Made me measure multiple times before weilding the drill.

I'm pretty sure that the -L reference is a typo, since all of the other parts on the plans are -R.

Line up the F-721-B's on both sides of the bent longerons, match drill all of the holes, then cut/modify the ends of the F-721-B's for the tip up in Detail E.

On the RV-9 plans, DWG 25, there is a F-757-T Tip-Up Canopy detail that also seems wrong:

"Backdrill though F-721B-L before trimming F-721B-R."

This makes no sense to backdrill the left before trimming the right. :confused:

Should end up looking like this.
1045981748_3RqPY-M.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the -L reference is a typo, since all of the other parts on the plans are -R.

Sean,
Bruce is correct. Typo. Sorry I missed that when I was looking at my scanned dwg on the laptop. Didn't squint enough. :eek:

EDIT:
I found this pic on my construction webpage of the finish trimmed decks.

1348386972440baf3f248a1.jpg

Last edited:
Okay...both end up drilling first, and both get trimmed as illustrated in Drawing 18, Detail E.

So they are symmetrical to each other when finished.

Thanks everyone.

Sean, I remember having the same questions you are having and I wrote to Vans. These gentlemen are correct, the parts are symmetrical on both sides.