rv7charlie

Well Known Member
Those who have gone before,

When is it ok to rivet the F-721A's to the longerons? I've fit(ted?) all the stuff related to the F-768 sub panel components but I'm waiting (as the instructions say you can) to rivet that assembly into the fuselage. I'm ready to start fitting the canopy frame, but that ain't happening unless I either rivet the F-721A's to the longerons or take them out completely.

The earlier instructions describe 'fitting' them, but don't specify actually riveting them in place.
Thanks,

Charlie

I am terrible at remembering the #'s so are you talking about the front canopy deck? They start out skinny and flare out toward the front and rivet to the subpanel?

If so, I riveted these at the same time I did the longer narrow ones that go all the way to the seatback bulkhead.

If you rivet these two together first, you can use solids on those two rivets that hold them together.

Found no reason to wait till later to rivet them. I am waiting longer on riveting the subpanel and front skin substructure in.

Yes, I think they are called 'forward canopy deck'. I don't see any obvious reason to wait, but I've said that before in these situations & I was wrong.

Hoping for some reassurance from someone who's already finished with canopy & forward fuselage.

Thanks,

Charlie

The only thing that I know you have to wait on is the front top skin. You should wait on the little stub ribs that help makeup the canopy hinge. (Makes drilling the holes in the spacers easier).

If you are going to paint under the panel area do that before you rivet in the subpanel structure to make it easier.

The subpanel structure can wait but make sure you put enough cleco's in all the holes to ensure that it won't move around while fitting the canopy frame. There is some advantage to having this free to come out when you get to cutting holes in the subpanel for radio's and instruments.

Best thing to do is check out the excellent job that people have done documenting their trials and tribulations on the websites dedicated to their builds.

I wish I hadn't

I wish I had not riveted the front deck when the directions called for it.

Doing the wiring laying on my back, feet in the air, upside down, is not my idea of fun.

It would have been SO easy to have done it later.

Hi Webb,

You're in Jackson? I'm up at Slobovia Outernational on HWY 49 N. Come out & do an airport inspection sometime. Send me a PM & I'll email you my phone #.

I'm actually talking about the 2 little triangles (~4" x 12") that rivet to the longerons & the 'sub panel'. I won't be riveting the rest of the structure or skin until the bitter end.

Charlie

Quick build fuselage come with F721A revitted, so it would appear you could rivit it before you start the forward structure. I'm assuming this is a slo build Fuselage???

I can't find where the instructions say what rivets to use for riveting the f-721a forward decks to the longerons. Am I right in assuming that the rivets are same as the f-721b aft deck?