N941WR

Legacy Member
Tonight I fitted the rudder bottom and realized it will interfere with the tailwheel spring. Is this "normal"?

Should I cut the bottom of the bottom to give me clearance or should I trim the sides of the bottom, thus moving it up? (Never mind that I have already match drilled.)

Thanks for the help.

Add a Flat

Yup, it's normal. And you ought to wait until the fuse is on the gear before modifying the fairing and permanently installing it.

Cut a flat in the bottom of the fairing to leave 1/8 or more clearance with the top of the spring. Under loaded it does deflect but not enough to close that gap. Thin cut-off wheels Van's supplies with the finish kit (in the catalog, or anything else 1/16 thick or less) in a die grinder make it fast work. The hole will be tear-drop shaped, maybe 2" wide/3" fore-aft. A few layers of glass and resin will close it up. While you're dealing with the bottom fairing, provide for tail light installation and passing wires into the front of the fairing from the fuselage. Plenty in the archives about this. Don't rivet it on until you're ready to fly or paint in case you want to make mods.

John Siebold

John,

Thanks for the tip(s). Figuring the rudder bottom will likely get trashed in the future I will plate nut it on, along with the wing tips. All the other plastic parts will be pop riveted in place.