ron sterba

Well Known Member
I have owned a Garmin 196,296, AV8OR and a Quadra Max GPSs but I got say when I recieved IFLY700 by Adventure Pilot in the mail I was NOT disappointed. It mounts (suction cup)right on the RV9As panel. It uses sectional charts as a backround. If you want to go to another airport just touch the airport on the screen and a window pops up and says it this where you want to go? You touch yes and it does all the calulations. Its way cool. it even comes with a (GUYS) a REMOTE CONTROL you can mount on the stick. Its about time they made them where your HEAD isn't in the cockpit for long periods of time.Its a great SAFETY item for the RVs as fast as we fly.$499

Last edited:
One of the Adventure Pilot founders gave a presentation to the flying club at McKinney this past Saturday. Between his demo and getting to play with the unit, I was very impressed. On top of a great GPS product, the chart subscription cost is far less than the competition.

If it only had XM weather.....

If you check out the forums on the IFLY website they state that they are working on ADSB via Skyradar and anticipate 6 months on development. I find the main value of the unit to be the charts. All sectionals and low altitude enroute as well as approach plates and airport diagrams for 89 bucks a year. The latest version, which should be released in a week or two has Terminal area charts also. Tom

You guys want a lot for $499!! :eek: Anyhow--below is a quote from the IFLY forum site regarding GPS output:

"Thanks for all the feedback on this request. Having an autopilot output does increase my insurance companies pucker. For this reason it would be an optional feature with a to-be-determined price. We have experimented with a USB to Serial interface, and are confident that it can be implemented on the existing hardware platform. And the output would be the standard NMEA protocol. We don't have a date yet for this feature, but keep an eye out for it."

Last edited:
Its interesting that I understand that we are all going to get FREE weather with ADSB!! Thats a great thing! You'll find Oregon has antennas for ADSB all around Oregon. Course it was developed right here in Salem Oregon for ALASKA's Pilots trial program. Salem is the home of a BIG Garmin factory for aviation equipment right on the airport. Will be flying with my IFLY700 GPS in a few days so I'll do a update. Ron

Its interesting that I understand that we are all going to get FREE weather with ADSB!! Thats a great thing! You'll find Oregon has antennas for ADSB all around Oregon. Course it was developed right here in Salem Oregon for ALASKA's Pilots trial program. Salem is the home of a BIG Garmin factory for aviation equipment right on the airport. Will be flying with my IFLY700 GPS in a few days so I'll do a update. Ron

Well, I guess you could call it free if you subtract the $1199 for the Skyradar receiver. I'd do it in a heartbeat when it becomes available. Like many of us, I'm sick of the XM high prices for minimal usage and poor service by a company that barely treats us as a sideline.

Hey Flybuddy. You know the GPS format seems to be a standard anymore and Iam sure we'll see some amazing stuff come out in the next year or so!!! ADSB for the govr'mt is mandatory 2020. Thats along way out there. Iam surprised that the gov'mt hasn't given XM weather to the poor folks in tornado alley for free just to keep people out of harms way. Who hows about the auto car, maybe we willl have to put turn signals on the plane by 2010. I suggested chome lettering last year on this forum and before you knew it we had dice and mudflaps with reflectors and racoon tails on the planes!!!! Ron in Oregon